Instant Pot Curried Butternut Squash Soup is a warm and delicious fall delicacy. It is flavorful and goes well with some bread.
The soup season is here and I am trying to make the best out of it. Last weekend I had my favorite spinach soup with a toasted baguette for dinner and then yesterday it was my pumpkin soup. and I am here again making curried butternut squash soup again.
My dinner is always light. Some soup and bread and a salad that has some protein. So I love making different soups.
Butternut squash is a winter squash that is similar to pumpkin. It has a slightly nutty and sweet taste. It is a dark beige colored veggie that has an orange color pulp with some seeds. The seeds are similar to pumpkin seeds but smaller in size. The outer skin is hard and the inner flesh is pulpy.
It is great for soups or stews and one of the best winter produce.
The only thing that takes time for this soup is the chopping part. Butternut squash has hard skin and you need a little muscle power. Or let me give you an easy trick cubed squash is easily available these days. Trader Joe's has chopped butternut squash you can pick them and use them in the soup easily.
Curried Butternut squash Soup
This curried soup has all the winter spices. It complements the soup so well and gives the perfect winter day punch. Butternut squash is seasonal and hence I prefer using the seasonal vegetables to the core. You get the best of best flavors from them.
Butternut Squash - Use a good ripe butternut squash. Slice the squash into two and then scoop the inner flesh and seeds. Peel the skin and then chop them into cubes and use.
Carrot - Carrot pairs well with squash when added to the soup. You can also add apple or even celery to the soup.
Onion - Use red or white onion. I used a medium sized onion approximately ½ cup.
Vegetable Stock - Use vegetable stock or Broth for a flavorful soup. You can also use water. Meanwhile, you can prepare the vegetable stock easily in your Instant Pot. Read the Vegetable Stock in Instant Pot Post for more details.
Curry Powder - and yes we add curry powder for the soup. It is the main flavoring agent.
Bay Leaf, Rosemary, Thyme - They add more flavor to the soup. We usually discard them before blending the soup.
Garlic Powder, Pepper Powder, Red Chilli Flakes - Adds more flavor to the soup.
Salt - Adjust as per the taste.
Coconut Milk - This is definitely the yummies addition to the soup. Makes the soup more flavorful.
How do you pick the best butternut squash?
Always choose squash that looks and feels heavy for its size. The skin is sturdy. It will have an even beige color all over. Never go for a squash that has Patches, deep cuts, or bruises, however, a little is normal and common. Also, make sure it doesn't have any visible green color.
Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
1 .Add all the ingredients except the coconut milk into the inner steel pot of the instant pot.
2. After adding the vegetable stock. Combine everything once. If you don't have the Vegetable stock you may replace it with water instead. Vegetable stock gives a more flavorful soup.
3. Close the Instant Pot. Turn the Pressure valve to the sealing position. Select the Pressure Cook mode and set 10 mins in high pressure.
4. Wait for a natural pressure release and then open the instant pot.
5. Remove the Bay Leaf, Thyme, and rosemary from the Soup.
6. Using an immersion blender blend everything to the soup consistency.
7. Finally, add in the coconut milk and combine once. Instant Pot Curried Butternut squash Soup is ready. Add in more Pepper and salt as needed while serving.
Serve hot. Top with chili flakes and pepper powder or any seasonings as you prefer. Goes well with Bread or been Breadsticks.
Soup stays good for 3 or 4 days in the fridge. You can also freeze it for 2 months and use it. Heat it or Microwave the frozen soup and consume as needed.
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates
Instant Pot Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- Instant Pot
- 1.5 cups Butternut Squash
- 1 Onion
- 1 Carrot
- 3 Sprigs Thyme
- 2 Sprig rosemary
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tbsp Red chilli Flakes
- 1 tsp Curry Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp Pepper Powder
- 2 cups Vegetable Stock
- ½ Cup Coconut Milk
- Add all the ingredients except the coconut milk into the inner steel pot of the instant pot.
- After adding the vegetable stock. Combine everything once. If you don't have the Vegetable stock you may replace it with water instead. Vegetable stock gives a more flavorful soup.
- Close the Instant Pot. Turn the Pressure valve to the sealing position. Select the Pressure Cook mode and set 10 mins in high pressure.
- Wait for a natural pressure release and then open the instant pot.
- Remove the Bay Leaf, Thyme, and rosemary from the Soup.
- Using an immersion blender blend everything to the soup consistency.
- Finally, add in the coconut milk and combine once. Instant Pot Curried Butternut squash Soup is ready. Add in more Pepper and salt as needed while serving.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist, the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.