Masala Chai is an authentic Chai prepared with Indian spices. It is an integral part in every Indian household.
Masala Chai Recipe | Indian Masala Tea Recipe with step by step pictures and video. Masala Chai is an Indian special evening beverage that is prepared by infusing various spices along with Tea dust and Milk. It tastes heavenly with some moru moru vadai or bajji.
I would say brewing Masala Chai is an art. If we mess with the spices a little more or less, it will overpower or would spoil the taste. But when you get the correct hold of the right spices and measurements and then nothing can stop you.
Now let's see how to make masala chai
History of Masala Chai
In Earlier days Tea was believed to be an herbal medicine. And the spices used in the masala tea have so many medicinal properties as we add ginger, pepper ,and many other spices. Also, in India black Tea was popular in the olden days and there is no habit of adding Milk in the Tea. It is the British who made the milk tea popular in India.
The fusion of adding the Milk Tea and the Indian spies became Masala Chai in Modern India and it is very popular now in the western world because of the taste and the rich spices added to it. And every region in India has its own versions of Masala Tea, based on their taste level and based on the spices available in their region they choose the ingredients.
Masala chai spice mix
Masala chai spices or the chai ka masala varies from place to place or even family to family. Precisely the ingredients more or less remain the same however the proportions vary.
The most common spices are cardamom, cinnamon, whole pepper, and clove. Apart from the fennel seeds, star anise is also in use.
Ginger is the most common ingredient. You can use fresh ginger or dried ginger. The tastes vary for the fresh and dried ones. Some restaurants even add ginger extract to their Tea.
The Indian tea spice is either powdered or crushed and used in tea and simmered to extract its flavor.
When do we add the masala for chai?
Usually, the tea spice is added to boiling water at the beginning and we let the flavors of the spices infuse. Then we add the milk and simmer.
How to prepare Instant masaledar chai
Masala chai tea bags are available easily these days. You can immerse them in hot boiling water and then serve them with or without milk.
Add sugar if needed. without milk, they taste like Black tea with milk they are like regular masala tea.
How to make masala tea
1) In a mortar and pestle add the Fennel seeds, cloves, Cardamom pods, Cinnamon Stick, Whole pepper, and Star Anise. Crush them coarsely.
2) Heat a saucepan with ½ cup of water, and bring it to a boil. Once it comes to a boil add in the crushed spices
3) Then add in the 1 tsp of crushed ginger and ½ tsp of tea powder. In a low flame let it boil for 2 mins. So that the spices would have infused well with the tea powder.
4)To this add 1 cup of Milk. Mix well and then add 1 tbsp of Jaggery powder.
5) Let the milk come to a boil. And then put on a low flame and cook for another 3 mins. Switch off and then strain the tea.
6) Serve hot.
Yummy Masala Chai is now ready
More Tea Recipes
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time . You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates
Masala Chai | How to prepare Masala Tea
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- ¼ tsp Fennel Seeds
- 2 Cloves
- 1 Cardamom pods
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick
- 5 whole Pepper
- 1 petal Star Anise
- ½ cup Water
- ½ tsp Tea powder
- 1 tsp Crushed ginger
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 tbsp Jaggery
- In a mortar and pestle add in the Fennel seeds, cloves,Cardamom pods,Cinnamon Stick,Whole pepper and Star Anise. Crush them coarsely.
- Heat a sauce pan with ½ cup of water , bring it to a boil. Once it comes to a boil add in the crushed spices
- Then add in the 1 tsp of crushed ginger and ½ tsp of tea powder. In a low flame let it boil for 2 mins. So that the spices would have infused well with the tea powder.
- To this add in 1 cup of Milk. Mix well and then add in 1 tbsp of Jaggery powder.
- Let the milk come to a boil. And then put in a low flame and cook for another 3 mins. Switch off and then strain the tea.
- Serve hot. Yummy Masala Chai is now ready