Creamed Corn is a classic and traditional American side dish prepared from Corn, Butter, Milk, and cream. Makes a holiday dish
A wonder and straight-to-heart dish is all we got to see for today. It is very mild and cooked quickly with just simple pantry ingredients. It is undoubtedly one of the best ever comfort food when made for ourselves.
I usually serve it with my baked potato wedges or grilled potato patties. I love this combo together.
What is creamed Corn
Creamed corn is a native American food, that is preparing by slow cooking corn in milk until it's rich and creamy. The traditional method calls for slow cooking. However these days we go for instant and quick methods.
Ingredients for Creamed Corn:
Sweet Corn - Since this is a quick version we can go with canned or frozen corn. If you have fresh corn you may pressure cook them for 4 whistles and then remove the corn kernels. The traditional recipe calls for fresh corn and is slow-cooked in the crock pot.
Cream - Use Fresh dairy cream, It blends very well with the corn.
Butter - We can use unsalted butter, Butter adds a lovely flavor to the corn
Milk - You may use full-fat milk or any. Since we add cream separately you may use any type of milk that you prefer.
Spices - Just the basic spices go into the dish, Salt for taste, and pepper for the flavor. Along with them, I am adding a pinch of Nutmeg powder to taste.
Cheese - Adding cheese is optional, you may add or skip it. It definitely brings in extra creaminess in corn. So I give this up to you decide to add or not to add.
- If using Frozen corn thaw them and keep them ready. If using fresh corn pressure cook for 4 whistles and remove the corn kernels and keep it ready.
- Bring the Milk and Cream to room temperature and keep it ready.
- I always crush and use the whole pepper rather than pepper powder. So if you are one like me you can also crush the pepper and keep them ready.
Variations in creamed corn
The traditional method and the popular variation is removing the corn kernels from the cob along with the milk and then slow cooking. In this case, you can skip the addition of cream.
Feel free to use any seasonings as per your preference. You may use paprika powder or even cumin powder or anything per your taste.
FAQ's on Creamed Corn
Is Creamed Corn , Vegan
Creamed corn has cream, butter, Milk, and optionally cheese and hence it does not come under Vegan. However, you may very well use the vegan replacement and prepare Vegan creamed corn. These days vegan cream or even vegan cheese and available in plenty in the market. And instead of Milk, you can try using Oat Milk or Almond Milk.
Can creamed corn be frozen
Creamed corn tastes best when served fresh. The dish has milk products and it might curdle and will not taste good after freezing. My suggestion would be not to freeze and only serve fresh.
Creamed corn substitues
For Vegan version, you may use vegan cream, vegan butter, or even vegan cheese. And instead of Milk, you can try using Oat Milk or Almond Milk. Several variations are there in therecipe. Some might even add sugar to the recipe. Also instead of cornflour, you can also use APF as a thickening agent.
does creamed corn have gluten
If you are cooking from fresh corn it is definitely gluten-free. However canned or frozen corn might have gluten and hence check the package instructions before you pick any.
How to Prepare Creamed Corn, Pictorial
1. In a pan add in 1 tbsp of butter and cook for few mins till the butter melts.
2. Next add in 2 cups of frozen corn. Make sure you thaw them and add. Saute for 2 mins in a medium flame.
3. Next add in ¼ cup of Fresh cream. Combine everything together.
4. Give a good mix and add in the Salt to taste and a pinch of nutmeg powder. Adding Nutmeg powder is optional you can skip if you do not prefer.
5. In another bowl add in ½ cup of milk and 2 tbsp of cornflour. Mix well such that there are no lumps.
6. Add it to the pan and combine everything. Now cook everything together on a very low flame for 8 to 10 mins. Slowly they start to thicken. Finally, I am adding a cheese slice and cook for another 1 min or till the cheese melts and switch of the flame. Adding cheese is also optional. You can just cook till the corn slightly thicken and switch off as well.
7. Sprinkle over ¼ tsp of coarsely ground pepper and mix once again and serve immediately.
Corn goes well with any bread toast or soup. It is a perfect holiday recipe and a most popular Thanksgiving dish. It is also a perfect accompaniment for any baked or grilled spicy dishes.
Similar Corn Recipes:
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time ?
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 2 cups Corn
- ¼ cup Fresh Cream
- Salt as needed
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- Nutmeg Powder a pinch (optional)
- ½ cup Milk
- 2 tbsp Corn Flour
- In a pan add in the butter and cook for few mins till the butter melts.
- Next add in the frozen corn. Make sure you thaw them and add. Saute for 2 mins in a medium flame.
- Next add in the heavy whipping cream. Combine everything together.
- Give a good mix and add in the Salt and a pinch of nutmeg powder. Adding Nutmeg powder is optional you can skip if you do not prefer.
- In another bowl add in the Milk and cornflour. Mix well such that there ins no lumps.
- Add it to the pan and combine everything. Now cook everything together on a very low flame for 8 to 10 mins. Slowly they start to thicken. Finally, I am adding a cheese slice and cook for another 1 min or till the cheese melts and switch of the flame. Adding cheese is also optional.
- Sprinkle over ¼ tsp of coarsely ground pepper and mix once again and serve immediately.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist, the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.