Kothu Parota is a famous street food down south in Tamil Nadu. It can be made using vegetables, Meat or Egg .Though now a days we get this in all restaurant the kothu parota’s taste best which is been bought in roads Side shops . Usually it is prepared by adding the salna to the shredded parota. But I made it simple by just adding the spices and it tasted similar to the Road side Parota. This has been my favourite street food since child hood. Happy that I was able to recreate that in home...
Step by Step Method with Pictures:
1) In a kadai add in oil once the oil becomes hot crack open three eggs. To this add in Pepper powder and salt.
- Instead of adding the spice powders a cup of salna(vegetables cooked in a coconut based gravy) can also be added. However kothu parota tastes better either ways.
- I used my Home made Kerala Parotta for preparing the Kothu Parota.
- Any readymade or store bought parota can be used.
- This recipe can be altered to prepare vegetable or chicken kothu parota as well.
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time ?
You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates from me.
Egg Kothu Parota
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- Parota – 3
- Onion – 2 medium sized
- Curry Leaves – a fistful
- Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp
- Egg – 3
- Ginger –a small piece
- Tomato – 1
- Green Chilli – 2
- Pepper Powder – ½ tsp
- Garam Masala – 1 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- In a kadai add in oil once the oil becomes hot crack open three eggs. To this add in Pepper powder and salt.
- Scramble the eggs well and cook till it is done and set it aside. Now chop all the vegetables required for the Kothu Parota. Heat a kadai with oil and add in the onions fry till it is translucent.
- Add in Curry Leaves, Chopped coriander Leaves and Chopped Ginger and fry well till all the herbs blend together. Add in the chopped tomatoes.
- Mix well and cook till the tomatoes turn mushy. Add in all the spice powders and mix well and cook for a minute.
- Now add in the reserved scrambled eggs to the kadai and give a good mix. Finally add in the chopped Parotta and mix well.
- Now comes an important step in the kothu parota, if you want the kothu parota similar to the Road side shops .Take two sharp ladles and hold in the two hands and start hitting the kadai with the ladles and mix well tell everything is well blended and continue this for about 2-3 minutes. Add in the remaining chopped coriander leaves and switch off the flame.
I used my Home made Kerala Parotta for preparing the Kothu Parota.
Any readymade or store bought parota can be used.
This recipe can be altered to prepare vegetable or chicken kothu parota as well.
Leave a Reply