Ghee biscuits are melt in mount soft cookies made with Ghee or Clarified Butter. It is made with just 3 ingredients and they are eggless too.
Ghee biscuits are very commonly seen in roadside tea shops in India. If you happen to travel in the suburban trains in Chennai you would have never missed these biscuits.
Why you will love this recipe.
- It is easy to make with just few ingredients
- It is perfect to make and beginner friendly.
- It is easy to customize.
- Eggless , no baking powder or baking soda
- Perfect to store and ideal for gifting
What is Ghee
Ghee is a type of clarified butter. It is very popular in India. In India ghee is often used in cooking or for religious rituals.
We prepare ghee by melting butter. While melting the butter breaks sown into milk solids and liquid fats. We can filter the melted butter to remove the milk solids. The remaining is ghee and it has lesser lactose compared to butter.
Ghee biscuits ingredients
Flour - Both Wheat flour and Maida works well for the recipe. You can use either one. Using wheat flour will have a slight compromise in color of the biscuits. It appears dark. With Maida or all purpose flour it is white in color.
Sugar - Added for sweetness. You can also use brown sugar if you prefer.
Ghee - The main ingredients. It give the perfect texture for the cookies.
Salt - a pinch of salt elevates the sweetness of the cookies.
Vanilla extract - Gives flavor to the biscuits.
How to bake cookies on stovetop ?
- Preheat a non stick pan.
- Line pan with parchment paper and arrange the cookies leaving space between each cookies.
- Cook in a medium flame for 5 mins and then reduce the flame to low an cook for another 15 mins. Let it cool down and the cookies are ready.
How long can I store these desi ghee biscuits ?
Ghee biscuits stays good and fresh for 2 weeks.
How to make Ghee biscuits
1. Sieve together whole wheat flour, Powdered sugar, and salt and then in a mixing bowl add in the ghee and sifted wheat flour, Vanilla essence, and salt, Along with them add in the vanilla essence.
2. Mix everything together and form a soft dough. Now with the help of 1 tbsp scoop the dough and place it in the baking tray lined with parchment paper. Continue the same process for the remaining dough. No need to flatten the dough. Instead with the hands also we can form a ball of the dough however using the measuring spoons gives us equal-sized biscuits.
3. Preheat the oven at 180 Deg C for about 10 mins and then bake at 180 Deg C for about 15-17 mins or until the base of the cookies starts to brown. Allow it to cool completely and store in airtight containers.
Delicious melt in mouth Ghee biscuits is ready now!! Perfect for Christmas gifting.
Tips & Variations
- Ghee biscuits recipe is easy to customize . You can either use wheat flour (atta) or Maida.
- We also turn these easy ghee biscuits vegan. Just replace ghee with vegan ghee. The texture will just remain the same too.
- You can also add a pinch of cinnamon or cardamom and flavor the cookies as you prefer. Or just swap ¼ cup of cocoa powder in place of the flour for chocolate ghee biscuits.
- Always powder and use the sugar so that the soft texture of the cookies retain.
- These bakery style biscuits are perfect edible gifts for any occasions.
- You can also bake these ghee cookies in stovetop without oven. Follow the same recipe and shape the cookies.
- Always let the cookies cool completely before you store.
These simple Ghee biscuits stays good and fresh for 2 weeks. Store in an air tight container for best results. You can also freeze them up to 2 months. Just thaw before you serve.
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time .You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates
Ghee Biscuits | Nei biscuits | Eggless Ghee Cookies
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- ½ cup Ghee
- ½ cup – 2 tbsp Powdered sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- Salt a pinch
- Sieve together whole wheat flour ,Powdered sugar and salt and then in a mixing bowl add in the ghee and sifted wheat flour ,Vanilla essence and salt ,Along with them add in the vanilla essence.
- Mix everything together and form a soft dough. Now with the help of 1 tbsp scoop the dough and place it in the baking tray lined with parchment paper. Continue the same process for the remaining dough. No need to flatten the dough. Instead with the hands also we can form a ball of the dough however using the measuring spoons gives us equal sized biscuits.
- Preheat the oven at 180 Deg C for about 10 mins and then bake at 180 Deg C for about 15-17 mins or until the base of the cookies starts to brown. Allow it to cool completely and store in air tight containers.
- The baking time may vary from oven to oven so keep a check after 10 mins.
- If your ghee is thick melt it and then use it for the cookies.
- Can be stored for up to 2 weeks.
- Cane sugar can be used instead of white sugar, but I wanted to retain the white color of the cookies and hence used powdered white sugar.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist , the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.