Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats is a hassle-free nutritious breakfast for the busy morning. They are creamy and perfect every time.
Follow us on Pinterest for delicious pins. Join our Facebook group for more Instant Pot and Air Fryer recipes.
Steel Cut Oats
Steel cut Oats are old fashioned oats that are firmer and chewy even when fully cooked. They more or less look like rice chopped into pieces. Steel Cut Oats are also known as Scottish Oats or Irish oats. They are processed by chopping whole oat groats.
They take the longest to cook compared to rolled oats, Oatmeal, or instant oats. These are a perfect variety for breakfast and keep us full for a longer time.
Steel Cut Oats - Use the old fashioned steal cut oats. Do not replace them with rolled oats as the cooking time and the liquid measurement vary.
Milk - Use dairy or any nondairy milk like Almond milk, Soy milk, or even oat milk for a vegan version.
Sweeteners - I prefer using Maple syrup. You may also use honey or stevia.
Garnish - Feel free to use any fresh fruits, dry fruits, or nuts as you prefer. Totally customizable and optional.
Why is Steel cut Oats healthier?
They are rich in fiber and are lower on the glycemic index.
How do I reheat oatmeal?
Oatmeal thickens if they are frozen or refrigerated. Hence add in some milk and microwave them or you can reheat them on the stovetop.
Can I replace Rolled Oats with Steel cut Oats?
You can reduce the cooking time and liquid if using rolled oats. Use 2.5 cups of liquid for every 1 cup of Oats and cook for 8 mins followed by a natural pressure release.
How to make Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats
1.Add 1 cup Steel cut Oats to the steel insert of the Instant Pot
2. Next, add 4 cups of Milk. You may also use 2 cups of water and 2 cups of milk or as you prefer. Make sure the liquid added is 4 times that of the oats measurement.
3. Close the Instant Pot and move the knob to sealing position. Set 15 mins in high pressure, alternatively, you may use Porridge or Oatmeal from the selection.
4. Open the Instant Pot after a natural pressure release.
5. Creamy Instant Pot Oatmeal is ready to serve.
Topping Options & Flavors
Steel-cut oats are cooked to a creamier texture in the Instant pot. The toppings and the combinations you can try are endless. Here are a few suggestions
Raisins and caramelized apples - Both work great together when combined with oats.
The most famous apple and cinnamon - Indeed a match made in heaven. You can top the oatmeal with maple syrup or honey for more sweetness.
Toasted coconut or coconut chips - They are slightly sweet and have a crunch. You can combine them with some maple syrup too.
Summer berries - Berries make any bowl colorful. You can use fresh ones or thaw the frozen ones and use them. They are naturally sweet and go well with the oats.
Sliced banana and candied nuts - another absolute delight.
Apricots, dried raspberries - Make a color sweet topping for the oatmeal.
Mango - When in the season I never miss using them in my bowls. You may combine mango with some chia seeds and toasted nuts.
Simply any Nut butter with honey or maple syrup
Tips & Variations
- The top tip for making creamier oatmeal is the amount of liquid. If you prefer to be drier you may reduce it to 3 cups.
- You may top your oatmeal as you like. Refer to the suggestion above to get an idea.I am using whole milk for creamier oatmeal.
- You can use any as you prefer. Even Nondairy milk like soy milk, almond milk, or oat milk works well too.
- Add in a dash of vanilla extract for a yummy flavor.
You may store them in an airtight container for up to 4 days. You may also freeze the oatmeal. I suggest dividing the oatmeal into portions and freezing them in a tray for 4 hours. Once they are frozen you may store them in zip lock bags.
While using frozen oatmeal add in some milk and microwave so that they loosen up and become warm.
Goes well as a breakfast bowl. If can be a grab and go breakfast and keep us really full.
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more update
Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- Instant Pot 6 Qz
- 1 cup Steel Cut Oats
- 4 cups Milk
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup or Honey
- Fruits of your choice for garnish
- Nuts of your choice for garnish
- Add Steel cut Oats to the steel insert of the Instant Pot
- Next, add 4 cups of Milk. You may also use 2 cups of water and 2 cups of milk or as you prefer. Make sure the liquid added is 4 times that of the oats measurement.
- Close the Instant Pot and move the knob to sealing position. Set 15 mins in high pressure, alternatively, you may use Porridge or Oatmeal from the selection.
- Open the Instant Pot after a natural pressure release. Creamy Instant Pot Oatmeal is ready to serve.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist, the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.
Leave a Reply