Orange Overnight Oats is a quick fix vegan breakfast with a citrus blast. Add in all your favorite ingredients and enjoy this delicious breakfast bowl.
Quick fix breakfast is always a boon, Especially for working moms. A little prep on the weekend and we can enjoy delicious breakfast in different flavors the whole week. So this is my sole reason to love Overnight oats and I enjoy trying different flavors.
I love citrus flavor anything and everything that is why this thought of Orange Overnight Oats struck me. It is absolutely flavorful with a citrus punch.
Overnight Oats in a Jar
Make sure you select a medium sized bottle or even a Mason Jar that works well. The Jar should have room enough to hold the oats plus the fruits and nuts that we top on to them. Always add more liquid than you see. Oats tend to absorb them and look plumped up in the morning. After adding all the ingredients be sure to mix well and give a quick shape so all ingredients combine. Put in the fridge and enjoy the next morning.
How to build a overnight Oats Jar
The principle behind the overnight oats is pretty simple. Oats + liquid +sweetner+ nuts or seeds . The combination is endless you may use any favorite ingredients that go well together.You can make them Vegan or with dairy.
To begin with soak your Oats with any liquid say dairy or nondairy milk. The Oats added should get soaked up, so that it is all ready in the morning for breakfast. To the Oats and liquid add in any sweetener I prefer maple syrup if going for a Vegan version, else honey, Nutella, Caramel, or any as you prefer.
To this add Chia or flax seeds so they get soaked and fluff along with oats. Next morning you may top them with your fav seeds and nuts even dried fruits or fresh ones and enjoy.
Ingredients for Overnight Oats
Rolled Oats - Rolled Oats are rich in fiber and perfect for breakfast. Also, rolled oats are safe to eat after soaking in water or milk, which makes it an ideal breakfast material.
Orange Juice - For the liquid, I am using Orange Juice in this recipe. ORange goes very well with Oats and is delicious as well.
Chia Seeds - Again Chia seeds are also rich in fiber. We can add that to the smoothie or any breakfast, so always I try to include little chia seeds in the breakfast.
Maple Syrup - I am using Maple Syrup for Sweetness, You may use Honey or any sweeteners also.
Almond Milk - Ok, here comes the tricky part. Add Milk with citrus might curdle the milk a little. But it's completely okay. After soaking up you will not see any traces of the milk curdling. If you do not prefer you may just skip adding milk and use Orange Juice fully.
Other Ingredients - Also adding some Orange zest, it gives an awesome orangy flavor. Feel free to add any nuts or seeds as you prefer.
Overnight Oats FAQ's
Instant or Rolled Oats are like more preferable but then you can very well use Steel Cut oats as well. Steel cut oats in turn require more soaking liquid and a bit chewy comparatively.
Actually, this is one of the best ever meal prep. You can make them ahead for a week. Use your creativity and try a different flavor for every day in a week. You can place the jars for the first two days in the fridge sections and the others in the freezer section. Transfer the jar for the next day from the freeze and put it in the fridge the previous day.
This definitely makes your morning stress free and a breeze.
We usually prefer it as cold or just at room temperature. We do not heat up. In fact, you make it warm by microwaving. Put them off the fridge as you wake up and then you can have them for your breakfast time. Always add the toppings just before you eat.
How to Prepare Orange Overnight Oats, Pictorial
1. In a mason Jar add in the Rolled Oats
2. To this add in the Orange Juice.
3. Next add in Maple syrup.
4. To this next add in the almond milk. Adding milk to orange juice might appear lightly curdled but that is completely okay. However, if you don't prefer you may skip adding milk and use Orange juice instead fully.
5. finally add in the 1 tsp of Fresh Orange zest and 2 tsp of Chia seeds and mix well. Put everything in the fridge overnight. The next morning just before serving take from the fridge. The oats will plump up. If you prefer more liquid you can extra orange juice.
6. Add your favorite toppings and devour your breakfast. I am adding Almond flakes, Dried cherries, Dried cranberries. And I made some candied pecans last week, so topped them as well in my oats. Happy morning breakfast.
Tips & Variations
- Overnight Oats with Yogurt - We can also add Yogurt to the Overnight oats. It adds more protein. There are many plant based yogurt available these days. Use them for the Vegan version.
- Tasty Overnight Oats - Use your favorite Dry fruits or nuts, You can also top with Chocolate chips. I usually add some candied nuts as well when I have some stock. Be creative and customize as you desire.
- Basic Overnight Oats -The basic version of overnight oats has a liquid to soak the Rolled Oats and then a sweetener and some fruits and nuts. Check this recipe for the basic overnight Oats.
- Overnight Oats Ratio - The ratio of Water to Oats is 2: 1. Oats always double in size after soaking up in the liquid and hence it's wise to use liquid to double the amount of solid.
- Soaking Time - Keep the soaking time like 6 hours or overnight.
Few more Overnight Oats ideas
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time ?
Orange Overnight Oats
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- 1 cup Rolled Oats
- 1.5 cup Orange Juice
- ½ cup Almond Milk optional
- 1 tsp Orange zest
- 2 tsp Chia Seeds
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 tbsp Almond Flakes for garnish
- 6 Cherry for garnish
- In a mason Jar add in the Rolled Oats
- To this add in the Orange Juice.
- Next add in Maple syrup.
- To this next add in the almond milk. Adding milk to orange juice might appear lightly curdled but that is completely okay. However, if you don't prefer you may skip adding milk and use Orange juice instead fully.
- finally add in the 1 tsp of Fresh Orange zest and 2 tsp of Chia seeds and mix well. Put everything in the fridge overnight. The next morning just before serving take from the fridge. The oats will plump up. If you prefer more liquid you can extra orange juice.
- Add your favorite toppings and devour your breakfast. I am adding Almond flakes, Dried cherries, Dried cranberries. And I made some candied pecans last week, so topped them as well in my oats. Happy morning breakfast.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist, the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.