Pepper Mutton Roast is a popular Mutton starter. It is so flavorful and delicious with just simple spices, It does wonder when cooked the right way.
Pepper Mutton Roast is a popular Mutton recipe especially in Kerala.It is so flavorful and delicious with just simple spices , pepper does wonder when cooked the right way.
I have tried Pepper roast with almost anything and everything, Pepper Chicken ,ShreddedPepper Chicken, Prawn pepper Roast ,Mutton Liver Pepper Fry are few of them. It goes very well with rice, Biryani, Roti or even Dosa or Idli.
Mutton Pepper Roast
Pepper is a healthy and versatile spice in our south Indian cooking. We usually flavor many dishes especially meat recipes with Pepper. It in fact blends beautifully. If you are someone who loves rustic flavors then this recipe is for you. Mutton Pepper Roast has just the basic few ingredients, Still have the best of the best taste. Pair Mutton Pepper Roast with any fat bread, Rice, Pulao, or biryani.
Ingredients for Mutton Pepper Roast
Mutton - Use a good quality tender variety of lamb. Depending on the type of lamb we use the cooking time may vary. We usually cook it in a pressure cooker for 6 to 10 sounds. So check your meat type and cook accordingly.
Onion, Tomato - As always we use the basic onion and tomato for the Muton Pepper Roast.
Ginger Garlic paste - A mandatory ingredient in any nonveg dish. Use either ginger garlic paste or crushed ginger garlic.
Spices - Just the very basic spices. Garam Masala and Turmeric powder for the flavor we use.
Fennel seeds + Whole Pepper -So this is the secret ingredient for the Mutton Pepper Roast. We dry roast fennel seeds and whole pepper until aromatic and then grind it to a coarse powder and use.
How to Prepare Mutton Pepper Roast, Pictorial
1. In a cooker add in the cleaned Mutton pieces along with salt and turmeric powder, add water till the immersing level of mutton, and pressure cook in a medium flame for 6 whistles. Wait till the pressure releases on its own and then open the cooker.
2. In a pan dry roast the whole pepper and fennel seeds till you get a nice aroma in a low flame. Allow it to cool down and then grind it to a fine powder and set aside.
3. Heat oil in a pan once it becomes hot add the Curry leaves, green chilli
4. Add onion and cook till glossy.
5. Next add in tomatoes and cook till mushy.
6. Add the ginger garlic paste and cook till raw smell leaves
7. Now add in the cooked mutton pieces and roast in a low flame for a min.
8. Next add in Salt, Garam Masala Powder
9. Finally add in fennel pepper powder and mix well.
10. Mix well and cook for another 5 mins and switch off the flame. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
Serve hot with biryani or Pulao.
How to serve Lamb Pepper Roast
Goat Pepper Roast is a spicy appetizer. It goes well with Pulao or any Flat bread. Biryani or Rice also. My Personal Favourite combination is Rice along with Rasam and Lamb Pepper Fry.
Tips to get the Perfect Lamb Pepper Fry
Cooking Lamb - This is a very important step. Based on the type of meat the cooking time varies. We usually pressure cook the meat and the cook. Never waste the liquid used in cooking the meat. Use it to prepare gravy or biryani or even Soups.
Spice Powder - Never use Pepper powder in the recipe. Thoughts it's a simple tip. It makes a considerable flavor in taste. Always dry roast the whole pepper and use.
Similar Mutton Recipes:
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks so much ?
Mutton Pepper Roast
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
To Pressure Cook:
- ½ kg Mutton
- Salt as needed
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
To Dry Roast:
- 2 tsp Whole Pepper
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 2 springs Curry Leaves
- 2 Onion
- 2 Green Chilli
- 1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1 Tomato
- Salt as needed
- ¼ tsp Turmericc powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- In a cooker add in the cleaned Mutton pieces along with salt and turmeric powder. Add water to the immersing level of mutton, and pressure cook in a medium flame for 6 whistles. Wait till the pressure releases on its own and then open the cooker.
- In a pan dry roast the whole pepper and fennel seeds till you get a nice aroma on a low flame. Allow it to cool down and then grind it to a fine powder and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan once it becomes hot add the curry leaves, green chili
- Add onion and cook till glossy.
- Next add in tomatoes and cook till mushy.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and cook till raw smell leaves
- Now add in the cooked mutton pieces and roast on a low flame for a min.
- Next add in Salt, Garam Masala Powder
- Finally add in fennel pepper powder and mix well.
- Mix well and cook for another 5 mins and switch off the flame. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
· Add more curry leaves and cook in coconut oil for a rich flavour.
· After cooking the mutton use the water to prepare soup, or you can add in the gravy.Dont waste.
· Goes well with Roti or Phulkas too.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist, the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.
Note: This post is originally from 2018. Its now updated with new Recipe card, Pictures and Content.