Shredded Pepper Chicken is a south Indian yummy dry chicken appetizer made with shredded country chicken, Whole crushed pepper, and Shallots.
It is very popular in the roadside shops and hotels in Tamil Nadu. It is popularly called as pichi potta pepper chicken in Tamil.
Shredded Pepper Chicken is one recipe that we happen to taste accidentally in a military hotel in Salem. We were traveling to our Native place from Bangalore. We started around 11 o clock from Bangalore to our home town and by the time we reached Salem, it was 3 pm.
Both of us were so hungry and we couldn’t find many options as it was a Sunday and most of the shops were closed by that time. Luckily we found a Military Hotel in Salem bypass road. We had very minimal Options of food left.
So I and my hubby ordered Desi Chicken Meal along with Shredded Pepper Chicken it was then we happened to taste this awesome dish. We both liked it so much and my hubby asked me to try the same recipe at home and I got close to it Happy me.
This dish has very minimal spices added but it tastes awesome. This dish will be a part of our meal at regular intervals. Do try this recipe and I bet you too will fall in love!!
What type of Chicken to used for Shredded Pepper Chicken:
This dish is usually prepared with country chicken (Naatu Kozhi), however, regular chicken (Broiler Chicken) can also be used
How to prepare Shredded Pepper Chicken :
Shredded Pepper chicken is prepared by cooking the chicken pieces along with the bones and then segregating the bones and flesh separately.
We will use only the flesh in this recipe.
I have another recipe to use these bones, so definitely it will not go waste. We usually prepare Country chicken bones kuzhambu with these bones after preparing the shredded pepper chicken.
How to Cook Country Chicken:
Country chicken meat is slightly hard and requires more cooking time. since in this recipe, we are cooking the chicken in a pressure cooker.
For Country chicken cook for 6 whistles in pressure cooker.For normal Chicken 3 whistles are enough.
Similar Chicken Recipes:
step by step pics on how to prepare Shredded pepper chicken Recipe
Shredded Pepper Chicken
To Pressure Cook
- ½ kg Chicken preferably country chicken
- 1.5 cups Water
- 1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Oil I used coconut oil
- 3 springs Curry Leaves
- 15 Shallots or Small Onions
- ½ tsp Pepper Powder or Coarsely ground whole pepper
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- ½ tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
- ½ Lemon
To Pressure Cook the chicken:
- In a Pressure cooker add in the chicken, Salt, Turmeric powder, Ginger garlic paste and water and Pressure cook for one whistle if using normal chicken. If using country chicken pressure cook for 4 to 6 whistles.
- Wait till the pressure gets released all by itself and the open the cooker. Chicken will be cooked by now.
- Open the pressure cooker and shred the cooked chicken separately leaving aside bones .
To make Shredded Pepper Chicken.
- Now in another pan/Kadai add in oil and wait till it heats up. I used coconut oil , use any cooking oil as you prefer.
- Add in curry leaves sauté for a min and then add in the chopped small onions .Cook till the onions turns translucent.
- Add in Garam Masala, Crushed pepper powder, Cumin Powder and Salt and Mix everything well.
- Next add in the Shredded Chicken and mix well. Roast for about 5 mins till everything gets blended and a nice aroma comes .
- Check for Salt .Squeeze the lemon juice over the chicken and switch off the flame .
- The Original recipe calls for Desi Chicken/Naatu kozhi .
- If Desi chicken/ Country chicken/ Naatu Kozhi is used pressure the chicken for about 4 to 6 whistles.
- Use freshly ground pepper powder for the best taste.
- More curry leaves can be used ,if you prefer.
- I have a recipe coming up to use the bones from this cooked chicken,so it wont be waste.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist, the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.
Note: This post is originally from 2016. I have updated with a new Recipe card, Pictures, and video now.