Pista Ice Cream is an easy 3 ingredient homemade ice cream. It is so good and perfect for the hot summer.
It's almost summer and this is the right time to make some good homemade summer treats. Obviously, icecreams top the frozen deserts list every summer. My 2 ingredients homemade ice cream base is my rescue. Just the basic 2 pantry ingredients. It is eggless and no machine ice cream.
I simply love the pistachio flavor and I always adore this pale green pistachio ice cream. Just got it right like the store bought ones and I served in mini ice cream cones. Right in time for St.Patrick's day, here comes my favorite pistachio ice cream. Right in time for St.Patrick's day, here comes my favorite pistachio ice cream.
3 ingredient pistachio ice cream
James Wood Parkinson invented pistachio ice cream in 1940 in Philadelphia, USA. Pistachio ice cream or homemade pistachio ice cream without eggs is a very popular flavor across the world. I customized my basic ice cream to get this pistachio-flavored ice cream. It is completely egg free ,super quick and easy no churn icecream.
Adding a drop of pistachio extract and some ground pistachios makes a difference in the ice cream. You can also add in a food color if you prefer for the best look.
I would not call this the traditional way of preparing ice cream. Traditional ice cream has eggs in them. Also, they have ingredients like CMC and GMS. These are the compounds used for stabilizing the ice cream and they are widely available in all supermarkets.
We are skipping all of them in this best pistachio ice cream. I have tried various flavors with this base. Say my strawberry ice cream, jackfruit ice cream it works the best and one of my trusted 3 ingredient pistachio ice cream.
Heavy Cream - This is the most important ingredient for ice cream. If using heavy cream use cream with at least 25% fat. .You can use any Whipping cream or full fat fresh cream. I have tried with all the above and each one has worked well. For best results use cold cream this helps to achieve the soft peaks quickly.
Sweetened Condensed Milk - Use sweetened condensed milk. It helps in the texture and also in the taste.
Pistachio Extract - Use 1 tsp of the extract. If you cant source the extract you can just skip adding them.
Pistachios - use unsalted fresh pistachios. Grind them coarsely and then add to the ice cream base. I love the texture pistachios give to the ice cream.
Food color - I am using gel color so few drops were sufficient for me. If using liquid food color use as it might need depending on the color. You can also skip if you do not prefer adding food color.
Is Pistachio ice cream gluten-free?
This pistachio ice cream recipe is Gluten-Free, Egg-Free and Vegetarian!
How is gelato different from no churn ice cream?
Gelato is also a type of ice cream. It can be better said as Italian ice cream. Like ice cream gelato also has milk, cream, and sugar as the base. however, the difference lies in the proportion. Gelato has more milk and less cream and it is vice versa in the case of ice cream.
Also in general ice cream has eggs and gelato doesn't use eggs.
Is gelato sweeter than ice cream?
Gelato has less fat and more sugar compared to ice cream.
How do you make pistachio ice cream
Take the Pistachios in a blender and crush them to a coarse mixture.
In a mixing bowl take the fresh cream. Whip it at high speed with an electric hand blender or stand mixer for about 2 mins.
Beat until soft peaks. It takes close to 2 mins to this consistency.
Now add in the condensed milk and then fold gently until the cream and condensed milk combines. This is the ice cream base we can customize the ice cream with as many flavors as we need.
Next add in the Pista extract if using and then food color. I used a neon green gel color. Also, add in the crushed pistachios and fold once again gently until combined.
The Pistachio icecream base is now ready.
. In a freezer safe bowl pour the ice-cream base. Freeze it for a minimum of 8 hours or overnight for the ice cream to set. After freezing scoop the ice cream and serve immediately.
Scoop and serve!!
Tips & Variations
- Never whisk the cream after adding the condensed milk. Make sure you fold gently with a spatula for best results. Fold gently until no streaks of the cream remain.
- You can use up to 1 cup of condensed milk for sweeter ice cream.
- This pista ice cream recipe is egg-free, gluten-free, and vegetarian. You may customize them to vegan by using coconut cream and vegan condensed milk.
- While freezing make sure you pour into the container fully. Or cover with cling wrap. This ensures the air stays intact and the ice cream freezes well.
- The ice cream appears hard when it is out of the freezer and it gets fine in 5 to 10 mins.
- If you do not get the pista essence you may skip it.
- This no-churn pistachio ice cream stays good for up to 3 weeks.
Icecreams keeps well in the freezer for at least 3 weeks ( If its lasts 😉 . You can store them in good pyrex containers or any air-tight container. If you get icecreams tubs you can store them in batches with the date labeled for easy usage.
I had some ice cream cones in hand and I scoped the Pista ice cream and served in them. You may also scoop and serve with ice cream cups. It makes a lovely summer dessert.
- Goes well with some warm chocolate brownies drizzles with chocolate syrup.
- Or you can also serve them with some Cobblers.
- You can garnish with a generous sprinkle of crushed pistachios or any nuts as you wish and serve.
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates from me.
Pista Ice Cream | 3 ingredient Pistachio Icecream
- Hand Blender
- 2 cup Heavy Cream with at least 25 % fat
- ¾ cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 tsp Pistachio Extract
- 2 drops gel food color optional
- ⅓ cup Pistachios
- Take the Pistachios in a blender and crush them to a coarse mixture and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl take the heavy cream. Whip it at high speed with an electric hand blender or stand mixer for about 2 mins.
- Beat until soft peaks. It takes close to 2-3 mins to this consistency.
- Now add in the condensed milk and then fold gently until the cream and condensed milk combines. This is the ice cream base we can customize the ice cream with as many flavors as we need.
- Next add in the Pista extract if using and then food color. I used a neon green gel color. Also, add in the crushed pistachios and fold once again gently until combined.
- The Pistachio ice cream base is now ready.
- In a freezer safe bowl pour the ice-cream base. Freeze it for a minimum of 8 hours or overnight for the ice cream to set. After freezing scoop the ice cream and serve immediately.
- Scoop and serve!!
Tastes best as a dessert after meal.
We can top the ice cream with crushed pistachios before serving.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist, the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.
Note: This post is originally from 2017. I have updated with new Recipe card, Pictures and video now.