Sweet Lime Juice or Mosambi Juice is a refreshing Summer drink. It has a citric punch and perfects cools the body.
According to the survey, this is the fruit juice that is consumed by most Indians during summer. I have made it even healthier by adding Mint. It is sure a refreshing drink.
Mosambi fruit is known as sathukudi in tamil. sathukudi juice is a very popular drink in Tamil Nadu, especially during the summer. You can see many push carts selling fresh sweet lime juice.
What is Sweet Lime
Sweet Lime is a fruit from the citrus family. It is spherical in shape and greenish yellow or yellowish in color. They are a cross between bitter orange and citron.
It is widespread in the South Asian Countries surrounding India. It is commonly seen during the summer. Sweet Lime also has a few medical properties.
Sweet Lime - Use fresh sweet lime when they are in season.
Lemon Juice - Adds a nice balance to the juice if added. You can also skip.
Sugar - Sweet limes are sour at times. Hence to balance sugar goes well. You can also add sugar or honey as you prefer. You can reduce or increase the sugar as you prefer.
Mint Leaves - This makes the juice refreshing and enhances the flavor.
You may also add a pinch of salt this enhances the taste of the juice and brings a balance.
Difference between Lime & Sweet Lime
Both Lime or Lemon and Sweet Lime look may look identical. But their properties and features are different. Sweet Lime is less acidic compared to Lime. In some countries, Lime is small whereas Sweet lime has almost the size of oranges but the out skin color is different.
Sweet Lime has a sweet and slightly bitter taste. However Lemon is sour and not sweet.
If you don't have a juicer you may easily squeeze in the sweet lime or mosambi with your hands and extract the juice. I have personally tried this when i did not have a juicer.
This is one of the easiest and most simple juice ever. Just squeeze in the fruit to extract the juice and then add in the square and water if necessary and your drink is ready. Serve with ice cubes.
How to make Sweet Lime Juice
1.Cut Open the Mosambi or sweet lime.
2. Using a squeezer. Squeeze out the Juice from the Sweet Lime.
3. The Juice gets collected in the juicer.
4. Add sugar or honey as needed
5. Add Lemon juice
6. Mix well and let the sugar dissolve. Finally, add in mint leaves. I added a few whole mint leaves and a few chopped. Let it rest for 15 mins.
7. Serve Sweet Lime Juice with some Ice cubes. You can also remove the mint leaves while you serve if you don't prefer.
Tips & Variations
- Serve chilled for best results.It appears almost like an orange in texture. You can juice them the same way how you do for the oranges.
- Never blend the sweet Lime in the mixie or blender. It gives a bitter taste making the juice unpleasant to drink.
- Always use a squeezer or juicer to extract the juice and discard the seeds.
- You can also combine them with other citrus fruits. Oranges and sweet limes go well. You can try many other combinations.
- I am using sugar in this recipe, but you can very well skip or replace it with honey as you prefer.
- If the juice is sour you may add more sweetener to balance the taste.
- Adding lemon juice and a pinch of salt is optional. However, they both elevate the taste of the drink.
- Easy try a sweet lime juice cocktail for parties and the weekend.
Serve Chill as a mid morning drink.
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates from me.
Sweet Lime Juice | Mosambi Juice
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- 6 Sweet Lime/Mosambi
- 2 tbsp Mint Leaves
- 2 tbsp Sugar / Honey
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- Cut Open the Mosambi or sweet lime.
- Using a squeezer. Squeeze out the Juice from the Sweet Lime.
- The Juice gets collector in the juicer.
- Add sugar or honey as needed
- Add Lemon juice
- Mix well and let the sugar dissolve. Finally, add in mint leaves. I added a few whole mint leaves and a few chopped. Let it rest for 15 mins.
- Serve Sweet Lime Juice with some Ice cubes. You can also remove the mint leaves while you serve if you don't prefer.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist, the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.
Note: This post is originally from 2016. I have updated with a new Recipe card, Pictures, and video now.