Chocolate Tea or Cocoa Tea is a warm beverage for a cold day. They are perfect when served hot with a crunchy snack. The chocolate flavor is so good when added to tea.
Chocolate tea is very famous in Ooty, a hill station in the western ghats of India. Ooty is very famous for its tea plantations and varieties. Ever since I tasted them, I wanted to create the same in my kitchen too. So here is my humble attempt and it tasted on par with the taste.
The best thing about this homemade chocolate tea is that we can control the fresh whole spices added. It's totally addictive, especially in the winter.
The chocolate tea recipe is one of my most loved drinks for an evening. They are fresh and refreshing with whole spices. I love cardamom and cinnamon flavor in my tea and hence I went with both. You may also add the powders if you don't want to add the whole spices. But when you crush and add them to the tea the flavors infuse more and they are aromatic.
Chocolate Mint Tea is also a refreshing version. You may add in some fresh mint leave while brewing the tea. Perfect evening drink with some crunchy munchy goodies or biscuits.
This delicious chocolate chai tea is made of very few essential ingredients.
Cardamom and Cinnamon - Gives an aromatic and delicious twist to the chai. So do not skip.
Tea Powder or Tea Leaves- If using tea powder use 1 tsp it is stronger than the Tea leaves. If using tea leaves use 2 tsp of them.
Sugar or Jaggery - Use any sweeteners you prefer for the tea. I usually use Naatu sarkarai (Country Sugar )and they are mild and perfect.
Cocoa Powder - Use any good brand of cocoa powder. They make a lot of difference in the chai. Never use more as they might spoil the entire taste.
Can I make the tea vegan?
These days we have a vegan alternate to anything and everything. Oats milk or soy milk works well for tea compared to other vegan milk.
How long do I boil the tea?
The flavors of the tea infuse as you boil down steep. It's always recommended to boil on a low flame for 3-4 mins or until the tea is frothy. However, this is for a serving of 2. If preparing tea in a larger quantity boil it for a longer time.
But remember never boil the tea for a longer time. It turns bitter and loses flavor.
How to make chocolate milk tea
In a mortar and pestle add the cardamom pods and cinnamon stick and crush them coarsely.
Heat a saucepan with water. To this add in the crushed cardamom and cinnamon. Boil for 30 secs.
Next, add the Tea Powder.
Let everything comes to a boil together.
Now add the Milk. Combine everything and wait till the milk comes to a boil.
Once the milk boils, simmer the flame and add the sugar or Jaggery as you prefer.
Also, add the cocoa powder.
Combine everything. Cook on a very low flame for 3-4 mins or until it is frothy and switch off.
Strain the Tea and serve hot immediately. Delicious Chocolate Tea is now ready.
Tips & Variations
- You may skip adding cardamon and Cinnamon if you like the tea plain. But they add so much flavor to the tea.
- You may also use cardamom or cinnamon instead of using whole spices.
- If using cardamom powder use ¼ tsp. Suppose using cinnamon powder use ⅛ tsp. As the Powders are more strong.
- Always use good quality cocoa powder. Do not use more as they spoil the taste of the tea.
- There are also readymade chocolate tea bags available these days. But indeed homemade version is the best.
- The Chocolate flavour in the tea is not overpowering they are mind and apt.
- You can also try the chocolate iced tea from this basic version if you prefer.
Tea is always perfect for an evening with some crunchy snack. You can serve them with onion rings, spring rolls, or even with some biscuits or rusks.
We usually prepare coffee at home in the mornings and Tea in the evenings.
A big no for this. Tea tastes good only when you serve it fresh and hot. You may always prepare them hot and store them in a thermos and serve them after 3-4 hours. But never recommend storing them in the fridge and serving.
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- Mortar and Pestle
- 3 Cardamom Pods
- ½ inch Cinnamon Stick
- ⅓ cup Water
- 1½ cups Milk
- 1 tsp Tea Powder
- 2 tbsp Sugar or Jaggery
- 1 tsp Cocoa Powder
- In a mortar and pestle add the cardamom pods and cinnamon stick and crush them coarsely.
- Heat a saucepan with water. To this add in the crushed cardamom and cinnamon. Boil for 30 secs.
- Next, add the Tea Powder. Let everything comes to a boil togther.
- Now add the Milk. Combine everything and wait till the milk comes to a boil.
- Once the milk boils, simmer the flame and add the sugar or Jaggery as you prefer.
- Also, add the cocoa powder. Combine everything.
- Cook on a very low flame for 3-4 mins or until it is frothy and switch off.
- Strain the Tea and serve hot immediately.
- Delicious Chocolate Tea is now ready.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist, the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.