Nungu sarbath is a very popular summer drink or Streetfood. It has chunks of palm fruit along with nannari syrup and water.
Nungu Sarbath Recipe | Palm Fruit Drink Recipe | Ice Apple Recipes with step by step photos. Ice Apple is a famous summer fruit. During the nungu season, we can see vendors selling nungu sarbath on the roadside. If you happen to travel from Nagercoil to Trivandrum during summer you might witness them. Every summer I never missed tasting this yummy sarbath.
Ice Apple has a natural cooling effect and hence it's very good for health. Now let’s see how to prepare Nungu sarbath.
What is Nungu or Ice Apple
Nungu or IceApple or Toddy Palm is a summer Fruit. Ice apple is from the Palmyra Plant. It is native to the Indian or Southeast Asian continent. It is known as Ice Apple in English. ThatiChettu, or Taati Munjalu in Telugu. Tadgola or taalegari in Kannada. Pananungu or Karimpana in malayalam. Taal, taad, trinaraaj in Hindi.
Ingredients of sarbath
Nannari Syrup - Nannari extract or syrup is made from the roots of Sarsaparilla and It has a sweet flavor it is usually used for making Sherbet during the Summer season. It has a high cooling effect. It is the main ingredient for the nannari sarbath.
Lemon Juice - Gives a perfect balance in the taste of the sarbath.
Chilled water - Perfect for the hot summer.
Palm fruit / Nungu fruit - Nungu or IceApple or Toddy Palm is a summer Fruit. Ice apple is from the Palmyra Plant. It is native to the Indian or Southeast Asian continent.
Few other Nungu recipes to try this summer!
How to prepare Nungu Sarbath
2. Next add in Nannari syrup and lemon juice from ½ lemon, Mix well.
3. Now add in the chilled water and mix well. Finally top it with ice cubes and serve immediately.
Serve Chilled during this Summer.
Tips & Variations
- kulukki sarbath, nungu sherbet, Paal sarbath, kokum sarbath are most popular summer drinks down south in Tamilnadu.
- They are very common in the food joints and roadside pushcarts.
- You can buy the nannari syrup from the supermarkets. They are very common these days. You can also check on amazon.
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates from me.
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- 3 Palm Fruit / Ice Apple / Nungu
- ½ Lemon
- 2 tbsp Nannari Syrup
- 1 cup Chilled Water
- Ice Cubes as needed ( optional )
- Remove the skin from the Ice apple and chop them into small pieces. Take a tall serving glass and add in the chopped ice apple.
- Next add in Nannari syrup and lemon juice from ½ lemon, Mix well.
- Now add in the chilled water and mix well. Finally top it with ice cubes and serve immediately.
No need to add sugar as the nannari syrup already has sugar.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist, the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used