Ulundhu Kanji Recipe | Black Urad Dal Porridge Recipe with step by step pics. Black Urad dal is a very very rich dal and it has got lots of nutrients. It is very helpful in keeping the bones strong and rich in calcium. The Porridge made using Urad Dal and Rice is so filling, and it goes very well with any spicy side dish. Now lets see how to prepare Black Urad Dal Kanji.
All about Black Lentils
Vigna mungo or Black gram or urad bean or ulundu paruppu (Tamil), minapa pappu (Telugu) , mungo bean or black matpe bean is a bean grown in South Asia. It is one of the most nutritious varieties of lentils.
They are rich in Calcium, Fiber, and Protein. It is an essential ingredient for bone strength. So it is a must to include the same in our food regularly.
Few recipes to try with Black lentils.
Ulundhu Kanji or Ulutham Kanji or BlackLentils Porridge
Black Lentils take a little longer time to cook and since it's rich in fiber, It keeps us full for a longer time. Black lentil porridge is healthier food. It is because of this quality, it is mainly consumed during the fasting season like Ramadan or Easter Lent Season.
How to prepare Ulundhu Kanji, Pictorial:
1.Bring 3 cups Water to boil, add in the small onions, Garlic pods.
2.Next add in the Fenugreek Seeds, Wash and soak the black Urad dal and rice for 30 mins.
3.Next add in the soaked Urad Dal and Rice. Continue cooking in a medium flame until everything is cooked.
4.If you feel the porridge is thick add in some hot water and adjust as per your preference. Add in the grated coconut and switch off the flame. Add Salt just before serving ,else it might get soar.
Serve hot with Coconut thogayal
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time ?
You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates from me.
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- 1 cup Rice
- ½ cup Black Urad Dal
- 5 Shallots
- 15 Garlic Pods
- ¼ tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- ⅓ cup Grated Coconut
- Salt as needed
- 3 cup Water plus as needed
- Bring 3 cups Water to boil, add in the small onions, Garlic pods,
- Next add in the Fenugreek Seeds, Wash and soak the black Urad dal and rice for 30 mins.
- Next add in the soaked Urad Dal and Rice. Continue cooking in a medium flame until everything is cooked.
- If you feel the porridge is thick add in some hot water and adjust as per your preference. Add in the grated coconut and switch off the flame.
- Add Salt just before serving ,else it might get soar.
- Serve hot with any thogayal.
- Goes well with coconut thogayal.
- Add Salt just before serving, else it might get soar
- Instead of water, 1 cup of milk can also be added to make it more rich.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist , the nutrition value provided here is an estimate.It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.
Leave a Reply