2. Mix well and cook for 5 mins and then add in the washed and soaked rice. Along with this add in the Dry ginger powder.
3. Add in the required salt and sesame oil and mix well. Close the cooker and cook in a medium flame for 5 whistles and switch off wait till the pressure subsides on its own and then open the cooker. Garnish with the grated coconut and mix well and then serve.
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time ?
You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- 2 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 tsp Methi / Fenugreek Seeds
- 2 tbsp Dry Ginger powder / Sukku podi
- 1 cup Black Urad Dal
- ½ cup Boiled Rice
- 4 cups Water
- Salt as needed
- 20 pods Garlic pods
- 1 cup Coconut
- Soak the rice for 30 mins. Wash the rice and the black gram well. In a pressure cooker add in the Black Urad dal and the fenugreek seeds, Next add in 4 cups of water and then add in the garlic pods.
- Mix well and cook for 5 mins and then add in the washed and soaked rice. Along with this add in the Dry ginger powder.
- Add in the required salt and sesame oil and mix well. Close the cooker and cook in a medium flame for 5 whistles and switch off wait till the pressure subsides on its own and then open the cooker.
- Garnish with the grated coconut and mix well and then serve.
- Goes well with any spicy dish.
- Makes a wholemeal by itself.
Black gram in rice is new to me , though I have read about a Khichadi with this daal from the pahari ‘s . But I bet this rice must very nutritious as well as delicious .
I have made a north Indian style urad dal khichdi before and remember enjoying it very much. I can imagine how flavorful this dish must have been with the addition of dried ginger, garlic and coconut.
Black gram rice sounds flavorful. Simple yet delicious dish with chicken on the side.
I have come to know about urad dal rice in all its variety through this mega bm. Sounds very nutritious and flavorful.
I have read about the recipe, but never tried it. I have the black urad dal now, will try this recipe. It looks so good.
This is such a balanced and healthy meal, nice to read about this dish. Though I have read and heard so much never made it myself. Good pick.
I like that the Dal is double the quantity of rice. I have never attempted with Black Dal and this looks like a healthy one pot meal.
very unique and a new dish to me.. very delicious and healthy too ! i think garlic is to balance out the dal quanitiy and rduce any flatuelence. Can I serve this with Raita. Sharmi ?
sukku podi is an interesting addition. I will definitely try it next time.
New and interesting dish for me never cooked whole urad and rice together though I make chilka urad Khichdi on Makar Sankranti.Looks quite comforting!!