Hyderabadi Mutton Dum Biryani is prepared by cooking the marinated mutton in raw papaya paste and then layered with rice.
Hyderabadi Mutton Dum Biryani | How to cook Hyderabadi Style Mutton Dum Biryani. Hyderabadi biryani is a famous version of biryani introduced by the Mughals who invaded to India. In this version, we marinate the mutton with raw papaya paste and many other spices. This makes the meat tender. The marinated mutton and rice are layered with mint coriander, Saffron milk, and a generous sprinkle of nuts. Everything is put in Dum and slow-cooked to perfection.
I prepared Hyderabadi Mutton Biryani almost Last September month and misplace the step-by-step pictures. So will update the post once I get them, Now let’s see how to prepare Hyderabadi Mutton Dum Biryani.
Serve with Raita and Brinjal Gosthu.
Hyderabadi Mutton Dum Biryani
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time ? You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates from me.
Hyderabadi Mutton Dum Biryani
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
For Garam Masala:
- 1 tbsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tbsp Whole Pepper
- 1 Kashmiri Red Chill
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 10 Green Cardamom
- 2 Black Cardamom
- 2 inch Cinnamon sticks
- 3 Cloves
- 3 Star Anise
- 2 Mace
- 3 Black Stone Flower
- ½ kg Mutton
- 1.5 tbsp Raw Papaya paste
- 2 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 2 Green Chilli
- 2 tsp Red Chilli powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp Garam Masala
- 1 cup Mint + Coriander leaves
- ½ cup Curd
- 1 cup Fried Onions
- Salt as needed
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- ½ cup Milk
- 4 tbsp Oil / Ghee
- 2 tbsp Raisins
- 10 Cashew nuts
- 2.5 cups Basmati Rice
- 3 Green Chilli
- 4 Onion
- ¼ cup Mint leaves
- ¼ cup Coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 1 tbsp Saffron
- Rose Water few drops
- Biryani essence few drops
- Dry roast all the ingredients together mentioned under the Garam Masala section in a low heat until it gives a nice aroma. Allow it to cool down and then blend it to a fine powder.
- In a vessel take the cleaned Mutton pieces, to this add in the Raw Papaya Paste, Ginger Garlic paste.
- Next add in the Garam Masala Powder, Chilli powder, Turmeric powder, Lemon Juice and Salt.
- And then add in the Curd, Green Chilli, Fried Onions, Coriander and Mint Leaves and mix well.
- Next add in the milk mix well together and then allow it to marinate for 2 hours. Meanwhile soak the basmati rice and cook till its 50 % done. Soak the saffron in milk and set it aside.
- Next take the vessel which is used to cook the biryani, spread it with ghee and then add in the Mutton masala and cook for 5 mins and switch off the heat.
- Spread it with half of the rice. Top it with saffron soaked milk and then sprinkle few mint and coriander leaves.
- Then top the vessel with the remaining basmati rice and then again sprinkle the fried onions, mint, coriander leave sand saffron milk. Finally add in the Biryani essence and Rice water.
- Top it with ghee fried cashew nuts and raisins.
- Now seal the vessel with atta and then close with the lid.
- Slow cook in the lowest possible flame for about 45 mins. Once done open the vessel and fluff the rice. Yummy Hyderabadi Mutton dum biryani is ready to be served.
- Raw papaya paste is a key ingredient so don’t omit it.
- Make sure you cook the basmati rice correctly else the rice will get mashed while cooking the dum.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist, the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.