Poondu(Garlic) Kuzhambu is one of my favourite among all the kuzhambu any tangy curry will always be my favourite. Garlic is a very good source to reduce the cholesterol level it also controls the blood sugar and blood pressure level. I feel it is difficult to consume garlic raw so I add garlic in almost all the gravies and Sambar and this Kuzhambu is delicately prepared using garlic, I you are a garlic lover you will definitely enjoy this Kuzhmabu. It is very easy to prepare as we need to just sauté onions and tomatoes and cook in a tamarind based gravy.
1. Soak the tamarind in hot water and set aside. Peel the garlic pods, chop the onions and tomatoes and set ready. Heat a Pan add in oil once it becomes hot add in the ingredients mentioned in the “To Temper” section one by one. Next add in the garlic pods.
Poondu Kuzhambu | Garlic Kuzhambu
- Garlic pods – 20
- Onion - 1
- Tomato - 1
- Tamarind a lemon sized pulp
- Salt as needed
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Curry chilli powder /Kuzhmabu milagai thool – 2 tbsp
- Water as needed
- Jaggery powder – 1 tsp optional
To Temper :
- Gingelly oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Curry Leaves – 1 spring
- Fenugreek seeds – ½ tsp
- Dry Red Chilli - 2
- Soak the tamarind in hot water and set aside. Peel the garlic pods, chop the onions and tomatoes and set ready. Heat a Pan add in oil once it becomes hot add in the ingredients mentioned in the “To Temper” section one by one. Next add in the garlic pods.
- Fry for a min and then add in the chopped onions and fry till they becomes glossy. Next add in the tomatoes and cook till they leaves oil in the sides.
- Extract the tamarind water from the tamarind soaked in hot water and add it to the kuzhambu let it cook for 5 mins and then, Add in Turmeric powder, Kuzhambu Milagai thool (Curry chilli powder),Salt and the required water and allow it to cook.
- Cook till the oil separates finally add in the jaggery powder if using and give a good mix and then switch off the flame.
- If you don’t have access to kuzhambu Milagai thool you can also replace it with Chilli powder or Sambar Powder but add only 1 tbsp.
- Don’t replace gingelly oil with other cooking oil as it gives a unique taste to the kuzhambu.
- The Kuzhambu stays good for weeks together when handled clean and stored in refrigerator.
- Tastes best when served with Steamed Rice any Veg stir Fry along with Papad or Fryms.
- You can also replace Onions by shallots for a good taste.