Tutti Frutti Loaf cake is a very popular tea time cake in India. You can see them in many food joints. Goes well for a evening snack.
Tutti Frutti butterscotch loaf cake is a delicious cake that goes well during tea time. A slice of this cake with a strong Tea will make our evenings heavenly.
Tutti Frutti is nothing but candied papaya. Adding Butterscotch chips to this cake is purely optional. You can also replace it with Choco chips otherwise you can omit it, and bake it as a pure Tutti Frutti Cake.
This cake is another addition to my Eggless and Butterless baking. you may also adapt this cake for the tutti frutti cake recipe with egg. In spite of the addition of egg or not, it is a perfect spongy tutti frutti cake. Now let's get into some serious baking business.
Tutti frutti is a candied fruit made from raw papaya. Papaya is chopped into small cubes, sweetened, colored, and dried to get Tutti Frutti. It is a very popular ingredient for baking, ice creams, and many confectioneries.
Instead of papaya these days we also watermelon rind. Also, there are natural coloring agents rather than the artificial ones
Flour - As always use white flour or you can also try half and half wheat and white flour.
Sugar - Always use powdered sugar. It easily combines with wet ingredients. You can use Jaggery or brown sugar. If using brown sugar it might slightly change the color.
Baking Powder - It gives an airy texture to the tea cake.
Oil - Use any flavorless cooking oil.
Vanilla - Use good quality pure vanilla extract.
Cardamom Powder - Adds a mild cardamom flavor to the cake.
Salt - A pinch of salt always elevates the taste in any dessert.
Yogurt - makes a brilliant replacement for eggless cakes.
Tutti Frutti - This is nothing but candied papayas. A very popular ingredient in Indian food joints or bakeries.
Butterscotch Chips - This is a nice addition. You may skip them too.
How do I store eggless tutti frutti cake ?
Let the cake cool completely and then slice and store them in the fridge. Store in air tight containers.
Why do we coat the tutti frutti with flour?
Coating the dry fruits or tutti frutti prevents the tutti frutti from sinking to the bottom of the batter. The tutti frutti or any dry fruits or nuts added to the cake is usually coated with flour. This helps in spreading the added components spread evenly over the cake.
Can I use egg in this tutti frutti cake recipe?
Yes, definitely you may replace the yogurt with 2 eggs. Beat the eggs really well until they triple up in volume and then add. tutti frutti cake with egg also has a nice spongy and airy texture.
How to prepare Tutti Frutti Loaf Cake
In a large mixing bowl sift in All purpose flour. Add in the corn Flour
Add Baking soda, Baking powder, Cardamom powder ,and salt together. Combine and set aside.
In another bowl add in the yogurt or Curd and powdered sugar. Combine until the sugar dissolves.
Next add in 1.5 tsp Vanilla extract
And then add in cooking oil. Whisk everything together.
Now add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients into batches. Gently combine until the batter is mixed without lumps. Add in 1 tbsp of water if the batter is dry else you can skip.
Toss the tutti frutti and butterscotch chips with flour so that it coats the flour. Now add the the tutti frutti.
Also add in the butterscotch chips and gently fold them into the batter.
The batter is now ready
Now prepare a loaf pan, by greasing in butter and coat it with all-purpose flour, and tap off the excess flour. Also, place parchment paper in the pan. Now pour in the batter in the prepared pan.
Preheat the oven to 356 F (180Deg C) for 10 mins. Then Bake at 356 F for about 45-50 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the cake. Let the cake cool completely and then slice.
Tips & Variations
- Never overbeat or mix the cake batter. Always fold the batter to a beautiful texture.
- You may use any crushed nuts or even chocolate chips on the cake.
- You can also skip the butterscotch chips if you do not prefer.
- Go ahead and use brown sugar or Jaggery powder instead of white sugar.
- Always use room temperature ingredients while baking the cake.
- Line the baking pan with parchment paper and preheat the oven as needed before you start baking.
- You may also replace yogurt with vegan yogurt or any vegan milk (cashew milk, coconut milk, Almond milk) for the vegan tutti frutti cake.
- The addition of cornflour greatly helps in the lighter and airy cake. so never skip that.
- I am using a loaf pan for baking the cake. You may also use a round or square pan. If that is the case the baking time may vary.
- After baking the cake insert a toothpick and check if it comes out clean. If not bake for another 5 or 10 mins as needed.
- Allow the cake to cool completely and then slice. I usually let it rest for 8 -12 hours and then slice.
- You may use a serrate bread knife for slicing. This helps in giving you the perfect slices.
It is a perfect tea time snack. Goes well with a cup of chai (tea) and biscuits. Also, I call it a perfect snack box cake.
The cake is eggless and butterless. So it is best to consume within two days. Or you may store them in the fridge for 4 days.
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram,Youtube and Twitter for more updates
Tutti Frutti Loaf Cake
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- 1.25 Cups + 2 tbsp All Purpose flour
- 2 tbsp Corn Flour
- 1¼ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Cardamom Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 cup Yogurt | Curd
- ½ cup Cooking Oil
- ¾ cup Powdered Sugar
- 1½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tbsp Water optional
- ½ cup Tutti Fruti
- ⅓ cup Butterscotch chips
- Sift in All-purpose flour, Baking soda, Baking powder , Cardamom powder and salt together.
- Combine and set aside.
- In another bowl add in the yogurt or Curd and powdered sugar. Combine until the sugar dissolves.
- Next add in Vanilla extract and cooking oil. Whisk everything together.
- Now add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients into batches.
- Gently combine until the batter is mixed without lumps. Add in 1 tbsp of water of the batter is dry else you can skip.
- Toss the tutti fruitti and butterscotch chips with flour so that it coats the flour. Now add the the tutti frutti.
- Also add in the butterscotch chips and gently fold into the batter.
- Now prepare a loaf pan, by greasing in butter and coat it with all-purpose flour and tap of the excess flour. Also place a parchment paper in the pan. Now pour in the batter in the prepared pan. Preheat the oven in 356 F (180Deg C) for 10 mins. Then Bake in 356 F for about 45-50 mins or until a tooth pick comes out clean when inserted in the cake.
- Let the cake cool completely and then slice.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist , the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.
Note: This post is originally from 2016. I have updated with new Recipe card, Pictures and video now.