Instant Pot Kheer with Vermicelli is a rich and creamy dessert. It is a simple beginner-friendly dump and go dessert perfect for a busy day.
No introduction is necessary for our very our Seviyan Kheer ( Vermicelli Kheer). It one of the easiest and yummiest Kheer. Be it any festival or function we always have a sweet as a part of our meal.
What is Kheer
Kheer is a type of dessert that is like a pudding from the Indian Subcontinent. It is usually prepared with Milk, Sweeteners, Nuts, and many more. In India, every special occasion calls for a dessert and kheer is the savior. Kheer gets done quickly in no time and hence here it gets its significance.
Instant Pot Seviyan Kheer
When preparing the kheer is so easy with stovetop why go for an Instant pot version. So here is it. Instant pot Vermicelli Kheer requires absolutely no babysitting. Just dump and go all the ingredients, you get the yummiest kheer in no time.
With the stovetop version, we will have to keep string to prevent the milk from flowing out of the vessel. Also, we will have to keep stirring from the start to the end.
In Instant pot first, add ghee and fry the nuts and then remove them aside, and then in the same ghee roast the vermicelli. Followed by adding Milk, Water, Sugar, and other ingredients. Next, we have to close the Ip and wait till it's done. That's it, It is as simple as that. Even a beginner can try this easy and quick Kheer.
Seviyan / Vermicelli - Usually, roasted or unroasted types of vermicelli are there in the market. You can use any one as per the availability. If using unroasted vermicelli, make sure you saute the vermicelli in ghee for a minute and then add the milk. If using roasted vermicelli, you may add the vermicelli directly and skip the step of roasting.
Milk - Always use Full fat milk for the kheer for a creamy kheer.
Sugar - Traditionally we use white sugar for the seviyan kheer. If you are ready to compromise in color you may go for Coconut sugar or Palm sugar.
cardamom - this adds tons of flavor to the kheer so do not miss it. You can either use crushed cardamom or cardamom powder. Additionally, you can use 1 tsp of Rosewater.
Cashew nuts and Raisins - If you have ghee roasted nuts ready, you may use them directly to the kheer. If not as I did you can add ghee and roast the nuts first and set them aside.
Saffron - You can also garnish the Kheer with Saffron. I use Rose petals and nuts.
- Make sure you clean the instant pot very well. The lid should not have any food debris. Also, no water is there outside the inner pot of the instant pot. Wipe well dry and then use.
- Always make sure the pressure knob is in the sealing position
- If using roasted vermicelli and you can skip the roasting step.
- Also make sure the sealing ring is inserted correctly.
Will the Milk curdle while making Kheer in Instant pot?
I never faced this problem before with milk. Coconut milk will get curdled easily but with dairy, the chance is less. As a precaution make sure there is no residue to reduce the chance of curdling.
How do you thicken Kheer?
If you ever feel the kheer is noo thick. You can roast some vermicelli and cook them and add to the kheer. This will thicken the kheer. Also as the kheer cools down it thickens.
How to Prepare Seviyan Kheer in Instant Pot
1. Turn on the instant pot and press the saute button. when the IP shows "on" add in the ghee to the inner pot, let the ghee melt.
2. Now add in the cashew nuts and fry till golden brown and remove the cashew nuts. In the same ghee add in the vermicelli. Roast for 30 secs.
3. Next add in the water and give a good mix.
4. Next add in the Full fat milk and combine.
5. Add in the Sugar. You may also add in ½ cup sugar and ¼ cup Condensed Milk. Condensed Milk gives a rich taste to the kheer.
6. Finally add in the Crushed cardamom pods or cardamom powder.
7. Give everything a good mix and then press the cancel button. Next press the pressure cook button. Set the timing to 2 mins in high pressure.
8. After 2 mins. the Ip goes to the warm mode or end mode. At this point you can do a quick release of pressure (QR). Turn the pressure valve from sealing to venting. Instant pot Vermicelli Kheer is now ready.
Few Tips & Points to remember
- The thickness of the vermicelli might vary from place to place. Also, we have extra thin, fine, and normal vermicelli. Based on the vermicelli the quality of milk added to the kheer may slightly vary.
- If you feel kheer is too thick. You may boil some milk with sugar or condensed milk and add it to the kheer and heat the kheer once again.
- If you feel kheer is too runny. You can add in some cooked vermicelli and sugar to adjust the taste.
- You may also add more roasted nuts like almonds, Pistachios to the kheer.
- Tastes best when served chilled or even hot.
- Makes a perfect festival dessert.
- I too have the open pot stove top vermicelli kheer.
How to serve Kheer
Kheer is one of the best after meal desserts. After a heavy feast or a meal we usually serve kheer. It also makes its place for any festivals or special occasions
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time ? You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates
Instant Pot Kheer with Vermicelli | Semiya Payasam
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 10 Cashewnuts
- 10 Raisins
- ½ cup Vermicelli
- ½ cup Water
- 2½ cup Full fat Milk
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 3 Cardamom
- Turn on the instant pot and press the saute button. when the IP shows "on" add in the ghee to the inner pot, let the ghee melt.
- Now add in the cashew nuts and fry till golden brown and remove the cashew nuts. In the same ghee add in the vermicelli. Roast for 30 secs.
- Next add in the water and give a good mix.
- Next add in the Full fat milk and combine.
- Add in the Sugar. You may also add in ½ cup sugar and ¼ cup Condensed Milk. Condensed Milk gives a rich taste to the kheer.
- Finally add in the Crushed cardamom pods or cardamom powder.
- Give everything a good mix and then press the cancel button. Next press the pressure cook button. Set the timing to 2 mins in high pressure.
- After 2 mins. the Ip goes to the warn mode or end mode. At this point you can do a quick release of pressure (QR) . Turn the pressure valt from sealing to venting .
- 9 Instat pot Vermicelli Kheer is now ready.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist, the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.