Kara pori or Spicy Masala Puffed Rice is a healthy evening snack. We can munch it as much as we can without any guilt along with some Tea.
Snacks with puffed Rice are very popular, especially in Asian countries. They are easy to cook. It goes well for an evening snack along with Tea. This is a healthy snack. We can munch it as much as we can without any guilt. Usually, we get kara pori in all Road sides It is a very popular street food in India.
What is Puffed Rice or Pori
Puffed rice refers to processed rice grains that are puffed up by the rapid expansion of steam upon cooking as per Wiki. Puffed Rice is made of various techniques like soaking and parboiling. We can also call it an Asian cereal.
We call it as Pori in Tamil and Murmura in Telugu.
Ingredients for Kara Pori
Puffed Rice – Use good quality puffed Rice or Pori.
Peanuts – Peanuts give a nice crunch to the snack. You can also add even more if you like. I am using roasted peanuts so that it takes less time. If you do not have roasted peanuts. Roast the peanuts in a pan until it’s fragrant and cooked and then use.
Roasted Gram Dal – Again roasted gram dal or potukadalai gives a nice crunch to the dish.
Spice powders –I am going with the basic spices like chili powder, Turmeric powder, and Salt along with things for flavor. Make sure you the spices correctly, A little more will spoil the dish and makes them too spicy. But we can very well troubleshoot by adding more puffed rice to balance the taste.
Other Ingredients – Usually, I add garlic also. You may add garlic while adding curry leaves fry well and then add the peanuts. Fried garlic gives a lovely taste and then you can also use cashew nuts, Almonds, or even raisins. Customize the ingredients as per your preference. All the ingredients that go to the mixture go well in the masala pori too.
Variations to Masala Pori
Masala pori with onion – This is again a similar version but just finely chopped onions are added for a crunch.
Beach style Masala Pori or Churmuri – In this beach style or Churumuri, we use fresh vegetables like grated carrot, onion, tomato, mango. On the beachside version, usually boiled peanuts are also added. This is another healthy version of the snack.
Jhalmuri – Jhalmuri is the Bengali version of masala pori. Mustard oil is been used along with assorted spices. It is also a very popular Street Food in the Eastern side of India.
How to make Masala Pori
The basic formula of masala pori is to do a small tempering add curry leaves, peanuts, roasted grams and then add spices. Followed by Puffed rice. The addition of the species and the tempering ingredients makes the difference. Some use just chaat masala for tempering. You can even use your cajun seasoning or even Idli podi. You can be as creative as you wish.
How to Prepare Masala Pori , Pictorial
1. In a Pan add in oil once the oil heats up add in Curry leaves Fry for a min . If you like garlic flavor you may add few garlic cloves and fry them as well.
2. Next add in Roasted Peanuts. Fry well for a min. Do this in low flame or the peanuts might turn dark. If you do not have roasted peanuts, you can roast them separately and then use them.
3. Next add in Roasted Gram Dal and fry for few secs.
4. Next add turmeric powder, Chili powder, Hing, and Salt. Combine and fry everything in a low flame
5. Now add the puffed rice/Pori and mix well and roast for a min so that everything combines. Switch off the flame.
6.Tasty Masala Puffed Rice/Kara Pori is ready. Store in an air tight container.
Notes & Tips:
- Adjust the spiciness according to your taste.
- Serve as an evening snack.
Similar Healthy snacks
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time ?
Kara Pori | Masala Pori | Spicy Puffed Rice
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- 3 cups Puffed Rice/Pori
- 2 tbsp Peanuts
- 2 tbsp Fried Gram Dal
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Red Chilli powder
- Hing a pinch
- 2 spring Curry Leaves
- Salt as needed
- 1 tbsp Oil
- In a Pan add in oil once the oil heats up add in Curry leaves Fry for a min
- Next add in Roasted Peanuts. Fry well for a min. Do this in low flame or the peanuts might turn dark. If you do not have roasted peanuts, you can roast them separately and then use them.
- Next add in Roasted Gram and fry for few secs.
- Next add turmeric powder, Chili powder, Hing, and Salt. Combine and fry everything in a low flame
- Now add the puffed rice/Pori and mix well and roast for a min so that everything combines. Switch off the flame.
- 6.Tasty Masala Puffed Rice/Kara Pori is ready. Store in an air tight container.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist, the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.
Note: This post is originally from 2016. Its now updated with new Recipe card, Pictures and Content.