Making an Onam Sadhya in home is like a dream come true for me. It involves a lot of planning and execution. If we planned right and do the necessary preparations it is not as difficult as we see. I should thank my cousin sister for this Onam Sadhya Preparation as she was the one who was fully with me and from shopping to recipe selection and all planning we both did everything together .It was a tiring day but I enjoyed throughout the day and when we served food for the family they were all similes and this what gives us happiness J
The first think we need to do is to select the Menu that we are going to cook. Select the dishes and note down and then you can make a list for the shopping make sure you prepare the list two days in advance so that even by any chance if you leave any you can get it .better not to leave any.
I started the work of the Onam Sadhya the previous day after noon itself.
- Most of the dishes involve coconut, green chilli and Cumin seeds paste so I ground that in bulk.
- Also grate the coconut in bulk and keep it ready.
- I used store bought banana chips and Sharkara upperi I made two days before (I couldn’t post the recipe as I was really busy .Will definitely post in the coming days)
- I made Mango Pickle and Puli inji the previous day itself.
- We made Tomato Rasam, ground the masala for Sambar and cooked the required dal for Sambar and Kerala Paripu curry the previous day
- We chopped the Cabbage, Beans, grated beetroot the previous day.
- Next day morning we started cooking by 8 in the morning.
- We first finished Moru Curry ,Kalan and beetroot pachadi as they are curd based gravy.
- Next cooked the Banana Eriserry ,Aviyal as they involved the same coconut base.
- Next soaked matta rice for cooking.
- Next finished beans and cabbage poriyal.
- At last made Olan and then started off the payasam.
- Finally cooked the Rice and fried the appalam.
We finished cooking by 12.30 and delicious Onam Sadhya was ready.
So for this Onam Sadhya Menu the recipes I selected are
Curry and Kuzhambu:
Matta Rice / Kerala Red Rice
Appalam ,Mor Milagai ,Banana Chips ,Sharkara Upperi
Semiya Paal Payasam
Palada Payasam | Palada Pradhaman
Palada Payasam or Palada Pradhaman is a popular Onam Sadhya dessert .It is prepared with Rice Flakes or Ada. It comes in various Sizes.Check out this recipe
Ada Pradhaman |Kerala Style Ada Payasam
Ada Pradhaman is one of the delicious recipes from Kerala made with Rice Ada. It never failed to make an appearance in the Grand Onam SadhyaCheck out this recipe
Instant Mango Pickle
Instant Mango Pickle is made withthe season's fresh mangoes. As the name suggests it is an instant and quickly done pickle,Check out this recipe
Lunch Side Dish Recipes:
Kerala Style Aviyal Recipe
Aviyal is a healthy and delicious lunch side dish from the cuisines of Kerala to the world. It is a mixed vegetable delicacy served along with Rice .It is a mandatory Onam Sadhya dishCheck out this recipe
Kerala Kalan Curry
Kerala Kalan Curry is an important dish in the Onam Sadhya .It is prepared with Yam and Coconut cooked in a coconut and Yogurt based Gravy.Check out this recipe
Cucumber pachadi recipe with step by step photos. Pachadi can be prepared with many vegetables like cucumber, Beetroot and many more .It is a must in the Onam Sadhya.Check out this recipe
Eriserry is a typical kerala dish prepared mainly during the Onam season. It can be prepared with vegetables like Raw Banana, Yam or Elephant yam.Check out this recipe
Kerala Style Varutaracha Sambar
Kerala varutharacha Sambar is very special and delicious as it includes the addition of freshly ground masalaCheck out this recipe
Moru Curry | Moru Kachiyathu
Moru Curry is another humble and easy Onam Sadhya dish that don’t fail to show up. It can be prepared in just few mins but tastes really greatCheck out this recipe
Tomato Rasam | Tomato Jeera Rasam
Tomato Rasam is a traditional Indian soup made of tomatoes, pepper corns, Cumin Seeds. It is very good for digestion. Goes well with Rice,Check out this recipe
Leave a Reply