1. In a Kadai add in a tsp of oil and then add in all ingredients in the “To Roast and Grind” section roast them until they give a nice aroma and turns light golden brown .Do it in a medium low flame and make sure the ingredients don’t get burnt.
Serve Chicken Salna with Parotta 🙂 The best combination ever!!
- Chicken – ½ kg
- Onions – 2 big
- Tomatoes - 2
- Green Chilli - 2
- Ginger Garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves a handful to garnish
To Roast and Grind:
- Cardamom – 2 nos
- Cloves -3
- Cinnamon Stick – a small piece
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Fennel Seeds – 2 tsp
- Poppy Seeds – 1 tsp
- Coconut – ⅓ cup
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Bay leaves – 1
- Fennel Seeds – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon stick – 1 inch piece
- Star anise -1
- In a Kadai add in a tsp of oil and then add in all ingredients in the “To Roast and Grind” section roast them until they give a nice aroma and turns light golden brown .Do it in a medium low flame and make sure the ingredients don’t get burnt.
- Allow it to cool completely and then grind them to a coarse paste.
- In a cooker add in oil ,let it heat up and then add in the Fennel Seeds ,Bay Leaves, Cinnamon stick and Start Anise .Next add in the sliced onions and cook till they become glossy. Next add in the ginger garlic paste and cook till the raw smell leaves.
- Add in the Coriander Powder, Chilli powder, Turmeric powder, Salt and then add in the Ground masala. Mix everything well and cook for 2 mins
- Next add in the tomatoes. Cook till they blends well fully with the masala. Next add in the cleaned chicken. Give a good mix and roast for 5 mins.
- Now add in the required water .Salna will usually be water so adjust the consistency and add water accordingly. I added around 2 cups of water. Now close the pressure cooker and cook for 2 whistles and then simmer for 10 mins and switch off the flame. Wait till the pressure gets released all by itself and then open the cooker. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.
- Chicken Salna tastes best with Parotta.
- It also goes well with Ghee Rice.
- Chicken Salna used to be watery so adjust the consistency accordingly.
- Always use fresh coconut for the salna.