Chicken Fajita Tacos is a super delicious and flavorful Mexican delicacy. We cook the chicken breasts to perfection with fajita seasonings in the Instant Pot or air fryer. The fajitas are then served in the taco shells.
Making the chicken fajitas at home is never this easy. With a little prep, you get a king-size dinner in less than 30 mins. So here is the entire process in 4 easy steps.
Make the fajitas seasonings.
Prep the chicken, peppers, and onion.
Dump and cook in the Instant Pot.
Arrange and serve the fajitas.
A key to a good fajita is the perfect spice blend. Chicken fajita is a hands down simple Mexican entree that gets done in just 30 mins. Strips of meat, bell peppers, and onion are tossed with the fajita seasoning and cooked to perfection. We serve the fajitas in taco shells or in corn or flour tortillas.
Instant Pot Chicken Fajita is even simpler. Just all the ingredients in the Instant Pot and your fajitas are ready in no time. For a crispy chicken, you can broil the chicken in the air fryer or oven.
However, in the Instant Pot fajitas are tenderly soft, and juicy. You might have some leftover liquid after cooking the fajitas. It goes well with rice. Mix cooked jasmine rice with the chicken liquid for a tasty Mexican-inspired meal.
How to cut the chicken for fajitas
I usually get the chicken breasts and then slice them into thin strips. If you are working with a whole chicken you can use the fleshy breast pieces. Cut them and slice them into strips.
Cutting the chicken strips of uniform length and thickness is another key for juicy and evenly cooked fajitas.
Homemade seasonings are always the best we can adjust the spice levels as per our family flavor profile. This is economical plus more flavorful indeed. so here is the list of ingredients I use in my spice blend.
Black pepper powder
The seasoning goes well with any chicken dish and can be made ahead and stored. It stays fresh for a month. you can double or triple the ingredients and make a good big batch for later use as well.
Fajitas Seasoning - I am using my homemade fajitas seasonings.
Onion - Use red or white onion.
Bellpepper - Slice the bell peppers lengthwise too. You can remove the seeds if you prefer. Use red, yellow, and green peppers for a pop of color in the fajitas.
Chicken - chicken breast pieces go well. Slice them lengthwise and use.
Oil - Use any cooking oil.
How to make Instant Pot Chicken Fajita Tacos
Prepare the fajita seasoning
1.In a mixing bowl add all the spice powders mentioned under the fajitas seasonings.
2. Combine the spice powders and then add 2 tsp of cooking oil. combine and set aside.
Chicken Fajitas in Instant Pot
3. In the Instant pot add 1 lb of thinly sliced chicken breasts.
4. To this add 1 sliced onion. Also add 1 red bell pepper, 1 yellow bell pepper, and 1 green bell pepper. Slice the peppers thinly as well.
5. Add the prepared fajita seasoning on top.
6. Combine everything.
7. Add in ¼ cup of water.
8. Combine everything and deglaze the Instant Pot and finally drizzle in 1 tbsp of Lemon juice.
9. Close the Instant Pot and set 5 min in high pressure. Turn the pressure knob to the sealing position. Once the time is up, do a quick release and open the Instant Pot. The fajitas as cooked beautifully soft and tender.
Arrange and serve the Fajitas
10. I served the fajitas in a taco shell lined with lettuce.
11. Top the chicken fajitas on top of the lettuce. Drizzle in some sour cream and serve.
How to serve
The options to customize and serve the fajitas are numerous.It goes well along with Tacos, Nachos, Tortillas, Enchiladas ,Quessadillas, Burritos, and more.
If serving with tacos you can serve them along with lettuce, sour cream, pico de gallo, and guacamole.
Serve them along with nachos or any other chips. Top with more cheese and garnish with herbs and chili flakes.
Stuff the fajitas in warm tortillas and roll them along with some Mexican rice and condiments as you prefer and enjoy.
Arrange the tortillas, and fajitas in a baking tray and top them with enchiladas sauce and more cheese. bake for 15 mins or until the cheese melts and serve immediately.
Toast the tortillas and then add in a generous scoop of the fajitas and more cheese. fold and toast the tortillas and then slice and serve.
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates from me.
Chicken Fajitas Tacos
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- Instant Pot 6 qt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- ½ tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Cayenne
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- ½ tsp Black pepper powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 lbs Chicken breast sliced lengthwise
- 1 cup Onion
- 1 Red Bell pepper
- 1 Green Bell pepper
- 1 Yellow Bell pepper
- ¼ cup Water
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
Prepare the Fajita seasoning
- In a mixing bowl add all the spice powders mentioned under the fajitas seasonings.
- Combine the spice powders and then add 2 tsp of cooking oil. combine and set aside.
Chicken Fajitas in Instant Pot
- In the Instant pot add 1 lb of thinly sliced chicken breasts.
- To this add 1 sliced onion. Also add 1 red bell pepper, 1 yellow bell pepper, and 1 green bell pepper. Slice the peppers thinly as well.
- Add the prepared fajita seasoning on top.
- Combine everything.
- Add in ¼ cup of water.
- Combine everything and deglaze the Instant Pot and finally drizzle in 1 tbsp of Lemon juice.
- Close the Instant Pot and set 5 min in high pressure. Turn the pressure knob to the sealing position. Once the time is up, do a quick release and open the Instant Pot. The fajitas as cooked beautifully soft and tender.
Arrange and serve the Fajitas
- I served the fajitas in a taco shell lined with lettuce.
- Top the chicken fajitas on top of the lettuce. Drizzle in some sour cream and serve.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist, the nutrition value provided here is an estimate. It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used