Instant Pot khichdi with vegetables is a one-pot gluten-free meal with Rice, Lentils, and Vegetables. It is packed with protein and makes a complete meal. It is a perfect meal for all age groups. Serve with a drizzle of ghee for the best taste.
Khichdi is a one pot mixed lentils and vegetable rice. It has a soft and smooth consistency. It is perfect for toddlers or elders too. Rather than cooking with Oil, Ghee or Clarified butter is the best option for lentils Rice.
You can use any one variety of lentils or Dals or mixed lentils too. It is a creamy dreamy one pot comfort food. Less prep work and the basic spices make the cooking easy peasy. Now lets see the recipe for vegetable Khichdi Instant pot.
What is Khichdi ?
Khichdi is a popular main course from the Indian Sub Continent that has Rice and Lentils. It is one of the very first solid foods for babies. It usually has a semi thick porridge like consistency where the rice and lentils are mashed well together.
Many variations are introduced these days substituting Millets for Rice, adding more vegetables and various lentils too.
How to make Khichdi in Cooker?
Well, you can adapt the same recipe in your stovetop pressure cooker as well, you can follow the same recipe and finally after adding the water. Close the pressure cooker once the water starts boiling. Cook for 4 whistles in a high flame and one more whistle in a medium flame and switch off.
Wait till the pressure subsides on its own and, then open the cooker. Garnish with coriander leaves and a tsp of ghee and serve hot. Check the recipe for the pressure cooker version too.
Rice selection for Khichdi
You can use almost all the rice varieties. Seeraga Samba or Jeeraga Samba makes it most delicious and flavorful. Basmati Rice or Sona Masoori are good options too. Or you can use any usual cooking rice.
Oil / Ghee - Use oil or ghee to flavor the khichdi. If serving to khichdi I recommend using ghee they are absolutely flavorful.
Green Chilli, Crushed Ginger & Garlic, Curry Leaves - we add them to the oil or ghee for the tempering. They make the khichdi tastier.
Onion - Use finely chopped onion and cook till they are soft.
Tomato - Cook till they tomatoes or soft for a juicy khichdi
Vegetables - We can add carrot, Beans, Tomato, Green Peas, Potato, and Beetroot for the khichdi. Add any as you prefer.
Dal - Use any dal or a mix of dal in the khichdi. I am using toor dal (Yellow Lentils). However Moong Dal (Split Yellow Lentils), Masoor Dal (Red Lentils), and Green gram (Green Lentils) also we can use in khichdi.
Spice Powders - Just the Basic Chilli powder and Turmeric powder we use for the Khichdi. Adjust the spiciness are per your preference.
Can I use frozen vegetables to cook in an Instant Pot?
Yes, Frozen vegetables cook easily in the Instant Pot. You can use it just like normal vegetables. No need to thaw use directly in the Instant Pot.
What all vegetables can I include in a Khichdi?
You may use Green Peas, Carrot, Beans, Potato, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Beetroot.
How to Prepare Instant pot khichdi
- Wash and soak the rice and toor dal in water for 30 mins.
2. Switch on the Instant Pot in saute mode. Once it turns on add in the Oil or Ghee let it heat for 30 secs. Now add in the Mustard and Cumin seeds Let them splutter and then add in the green chili, crushed ginger, and garlic along with Curry leaves. Saute for few secs.
3. Next, add in the chopped onion and saute till they are soft and pink.
4.Next, add in the chopped tomatoes and cook till they are soft.
5. And then add in the chopped Vegetables. I am adding carrots, Beans, and Cauliflower. Soak the cauliflower in hot for 5 mins and then add it to the Instant Pot. You can also include Potato, Green Peas, and Beetroot in the Khichdi.
6. Drain the excess water from the Dal and Rice and add it to the Instant Pot.
7. Next, add in the measured water (3 cups water).
8. And then add in the spice powders. Just the basic spices turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt. Combine everything.
9. Close the Instant Pot. Press the Cancel button and select the pressure cook mode. Set 5 mins in high pressure. Wait till the pressure release naturally and, then open the Instant Pot.
Mash everything well. You can also garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves. Instant pot khichdi with vegetables is now ready. Serve hot with Pickle and Pappad.
Tips & Variations
- For a vegan version of Khichdi, substitute Ghee (Clarified Butter) with coconut oil.
- You may use Brown Rice or Millets instead of Rice.
- Use a combination of Lentils for more flavor. You can use Red Lentils (Masoor Dal), Green Lentils (Green Gram), Split Yellow Lentils (Moong Dal), Yellow Lentils (Toor Dal).
- Do not reduce the water consistency as it is required for the semi thick Porridge like consistency. You can add ½ cup More ie 3 ½ cup water for a more runny consistency.
- It is easy for digestion and perfect for kids and the elderly.
- Masala khichdi - This is a slightly different version. We use whole spices and spice powders in the khichdi. For flavoring, we use fennel seeds, cinnamon, Bay leaves, and Garam Masala.
You can store it in the fridge for up to 4 days. And make sure you reheat with a dash of ghee and then serve.
Goes well with Pickle and Papad. Apart from that Raita too makes a good side dish. Always serve hot with a dash of ghee. Khichdi gets thicker as it cools down. So always reheat and serve.
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time ? You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates
Instant Pot khichdi
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- 1 tbsp Oil / Ghee
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2 Green Chilli
- 1 tsp Crushed ginger and garlic
- 1 spring Curry leaves a spring
- 1 Onion
- 1 Tomato
- ¼ cup Beans
- ¼ cup Carrot
- ½ cup Cauliflower Florets
- ½ cup Rice
- ½ cup Toor Dal
- 3 cup Water
- ¼ tsp Turmeric power
- ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder
- Salt as needed
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- Wash and soak the rice and toor dal in water for 30 mins.
- Switch on the Instant Pot in saute mode. Once it turns on add in the Oil or Ghee let it heat for 30 secs. Now add in the Mustard and Cumin seeds Let them splutter and then add in the green chili, crushed ginger, and garlic along with Curry leaves. Saute for few secs.
- Next, add in the chopped onion and saute till they are soft and pink.
- Next, add in the chopped tomatoes and cook till they are soft.
- And then add in the chopped Vegetables. I am adding carrots, Beans, and Cauliflower. Soak the cauliflower in hot for 5 mins and then add it to the Instant Pot. You can also include Potato, Green Peas, and Beetroot in the Khichdi.
- Drain the excess water from the Dal and Rice and add it to the Instant Pot.
- Next, add in the measured water.
- And then add in the spice powders. Just the basic spices turmeric powder, Chilli powder, and salt. Combine everything.
- Close the Instant Pot. Press the Cancel button and select the pressure cook mode. Set 5 mins in high pressure. Wait till the pressure release naturally and then open the Instant Pot.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist , the nutrition value provided here is an estimate.It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.