Prawn Fry or Shrimp fry is a crispy appetizer prepared by marinating prawns with Indian spices and then its cooked to perfection.
Shrimp Fry | Chemeen Varuval recipe with Step by Step pics and a video.
Shrimp is a tasty seafood. It is usually cooked so quickly and makes a delicious appearance on the table whenever they make their presence. There are so many ways to cook them but one common way to prepare them is the Fry. The difference is the masala which is used to cook the prawns and that is how the taste differs.
Prawn is a very popular dish, especially at parties, so many variations can be done but it is always a winner when made into an appetizer or starter Because it is always a crowd-pleaser and favorite.
Types of Prawn
Depending on the regions they are present there are so many varieties of prawns. However, the most commonly used varieties for cooking is as prawns or Shrimp. Generally, the bigger prawns are referred to as Tiger Prawns and King Prawns and they are also commonly used in cooking.
Difference between Prawn and Shrimp
The anatomies of both are different, but we cook both in a similar fashion.
Prawn in regional languages
Prawn is called Iral in Tamil, Chemeen in Malayalam, Royyala in Telugu,Sigadi in Kannada, jhinga in Hindi, and Chingri in Bengali. Another common term is Shrimp.
Variations in Prawn Fry
The main variation in Prawn Fry preparation is the masala used. In different regions they cook in different ways For eg. in Kerala generally they use coconut oil for cooking shrimp, in other regions it may not be. Also, we can deep-fried or shallow fry the prawns. Tastes good either way. In this recipe, I have shallow fried.
Similar Prawn Recipes in the blog!!
I have posted Kuzhambu, Biryani, Noodles and so many other recipes with prawn in blog already. You can check all the prawn recipes here.
How to make prawns fry
1.Clean and devein the Prawns . In a bowl add in the Cleaned Prawns. To this add in Red Chilli powder, Garam Masala
2. Add in Turmeric powder, Ginger garlic paste and Corn Flour.
3. Add Fennel Seeds powder and the required Salt. Combine everything.
4.Finally add in a sprig of curry leaves and mix well. Allow it to marinate for 30 mins. Heat a pan with coconut oil
5. Once the pan is hot add in the prawns. Fry in a low medium flame for 1 min. Fry in a low medium flame for 1 min. Flip and cook the other side for another 1 min. Continue cooking for about 5 mins. Flip and cook on regular intervals. Garnish a sprig of curry leaves and switch off the flame.
Tasty and delicious golden fried prawns are now ready to serve.
Tips & Variations
- If you like a restaurant style crispy prawns fry you can deep fry the prawns instead of Tawa fry.
- You can also coat the shrimp with some panko bread crumbs for deep fried prawns for a better texture.
- This prawn fry recipe calls for a spicy marinade, adjust them as per your taste buds if you find it spicier.
More Shrimp recipes
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time ? You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates
- ¼ kg Prawn
- ½ tsp Red Chilli powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp Corn Flour
- ¼ tsp Fennel Seeds powder
- Salt as needed
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 2 sprig Curry Leaves
- Clean and devein the Prawns . In a bowl add in the Cleaned Prawns
- To this add in Red Chilli powder ,Garam Masala, Ginger garlic paste.
- Also add Corn Flour ,Fennel Seeds powder and the required Salt.
- Finally add in a spring of curry leaves and mix well .Allow it to Marinate for 30 mins.
- Heat a pan with coconut oil once its hot add in the prawns. Fry in a low medium flame for 1 min.
- Flip and cook the other side for another 1 min. Continue to cook for about 5 mins.Flip and cook on regular intervals.
- Garnish a spring of curry leaves and switch off the flame.
- 1 tsp of rice flour can also be added for a more crispy Prawn Fry.
- Dont cook for a longer time, The prawn might turn rubbery.
- The prawns can be deep fried also. If deep frying fry for 5 mins. The prawns will be cooked.