Vegan and Gluten Free ,classic south Indian Style Tomato Rice or Tomato bath , A easy go to dish for a busy working day!!
Tomato rice is an awesome south Indian Lunch box recipe. It is pretty simple to prepare but tastes good. The primary ingredient used is the tomatoes. Use good quality fresh tomatoes while preparing thakalli sadham to enjoy its richness. This tastes good with just onion raita or any chips.
I usually prepare Tomato Rice with a biryani flavour. It tastes really good with just chips and raita or even pickle. So i suggest you use basmati rice in this method.However normal cooking rice can also be used and yes seeraga samba rice can also be used.
I have used precooked rice in this recipe. And i have explained in detailed below how to cook or prepare tomato rice in a single pot. Just dump all the ingredient and beautiful Tomato bath is ready.
How to prepare Tomato bath:
Tomato rice is usually prepared in numerous ways. It can be prepared as a one pot method. ie cooking the rice along with the tomato masala. Or we can prepare by using pre cooked rice in a tomato masala.
In this recipe , i have use precooked rice to the tomato masala for Tomato Rice , but it can very well be converted to a one pot method.
How to prepare Tomato Rice in One pot Method:
For the recipe below till you prepare the tomato masala. You a pressure cooker.soak the basmati Rice for 30 mins and set aside.
Next add the soaked rice and fry for a min. Add required Water. It will be 1.25 cups of Water for every 1 cup of Rice. This is the ratio. Wait till the water comes to a boil and then close the cooker.When the presure coomes vigorously put the whistle and cook for 3 minutes in a high flame and switch off.
Wait till the pressure releases completely and then open the cooker. Carefully fluff the rice and garnish with the coriander leaves and serve.
How to prepare Tomato Rice in Open Pot :
For cooking in open pot the rice and Water ratio is , for every 1 cup of Rice add 2 cups of Water.
Check the video below to see how to prepare Tomato bath in detail:
How to prepare Tomato Rice with step by step pictures:
4) Once the tomatoes start leaving oil add in the cooked rice to this mixture and mix gently .Hot and spicy Tomatoes are ready to be served.
Tomato rice | Tomato bath
- 2 cup Cooked Rice I used Basmathi Rice
- 2 Onion Medium Sized
- 3 big Tomato
- 15 -20 Garlic
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 springs Curry Leaves
- 3 tbsp Corriander Leaves
- Salt – as needed
- ½ tsp Sugar
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- ½ tsp Garam masala
- 1½ tsp Chilli powder
- 2 tbsp Oil
- In a kadai add in oil. Once the oil becomes hot add in Fennel Seeds and Bay leaves .allow them to fry for a min and add in the curry leaves.
- Now add in Garlic pods and fry for a min and add in the sliced onions ,add in salt and fry till the onions turns golden brown or translucent.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes and the spice powders, mix everything together and fry till the tomatoes are cooked well and it leaves oil.
- Once the tomatoes start leaving oil add in the cooked rice to this mixture and mix gently .Hot and spicy Tomatoes are ready to be served.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist , the nutrition value provided here is an estimate.It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.
Note: This post is originally from 2016 . I have updated with new Recipe card, Pictures and video now.