Jeeraga Kangi | Cumin Flavoured Rice porridge is an age old recipe which is very popular among the Malabar Muslims. Traditionally this porridge is cooked in the backyards in a large quantity in fire woods during Iftar. I was lucky enough to taste this porridge couple of times during my college days from a very good friends of mine. So during the Ramadan fasting she used to treat us with so many authentic recipes. And I got this recipe from her mother.
Serve hot with Coconut thuvayal.
- Jeeraga /Seeraga Samba Rice – 1 cup
- Moong Dal – ¼ cup
- Water – 5 cups
- Green Chilli – 2
- Shallots – 5
- Garlic pods – 4
- Salt as needed
To Roast and Grind :
- Coconut – ¼ cup
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tbsp
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Onions – 1 medium sized
- Cardamom -2
- Cinnamon Stick – 1 inch piece
- In a pan dry roast the moong dal until a nice fragrance comes make sure not to burn it. Allow it to cool down. Meanwhile wash the seeraga samba rice and keep it ready.
- In a pressure cooker add in Cleaned Rice, Moong Dal, Green Chilli, shallots, Garlic pods and Salt and then 5 cups of water. Pressure cook for 5 whistles. Wait till the pressure gets released all by itself. Open the cooker and check for the consistency, if it is very thick add in the boiling water and put it in flame for another 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a pan add in a tsp of oil and roast the grated coconut and cumin seeds until golden brown .allow it to cool down and then grind it to a very coarse mixture.
- Put the cooker back in flame and heat it to this add in the ground coconut and cumin mixture. and mix well .Check for salt and add if needed. In another pan add in the "To temper" ingredients and roast until the onions turns golden brown in colour.
- Add the prepared tadka to the Pressure cooker and mix well. Serve hot with Coconut thuvayal.
- Always serve hot.
- If the porridge gets thick add in some boiling water and allow it to cook for 5 mins. Adjust the salt accordingly.