Thai Green Curry paste is a base ingredient that gives flavors to the famous Thai green curry. It has the basic Thai ingredients in them.
Thai Green curry is an authentic dish from Thai cuisine. It uses the traditional Thai Green curry paste. They is easily available in the stores these days. However, I always feel homemade is the best. We can control the spiciness of the dish. Also, it is so fresh. Storebought green curry paste will never match the flavor of the homemade ones.
It may seem like a very long list of ingredients, but they are easily available in any Asian store.
Thai Green Curry Paste.
DIY homemade curry paste is always fun. It is fresh and full of flavors. Sharing today the Green Curry paste recipe. It is not an authentic recipe. It is a plant-based alternative to traditional curry paste. The list of ingredients might appear long but there will be available in one-stop Asian stores.
Whole spices - We use whole pepper, Cumins seeds, and Coriander seeds. Dry roast the spices and then use.
Basil leaves - There are many varieties of Basil. For Green curry paste use Fresh Tahi Basil Leaves
LemonGrass, Kaffir Lime Leaves - Use the stalk of fresh lemongrass Peel the outer white portion to remove the stalk. Then 1 Kaffir Lime Leaves. If it's not available use fresh lime zest instead.
Cilantro leaves and Stalk - Use both the Stalk part and leaves of Fresh Cilantro
Galangal - Galangal is Thai ginger. If you can't find it, you can replace it with ginger.
Soya Sauce - Traditionally, they use Fish sauce and shrimp paste in the Thai version of Green Curry paste. I am using Soya sauce instead as I wanted a Vegan version. If you are looking for a gluten-free version you may use Tamari sauce instead of Soya sauce.
Brown Sugar - Use brown sugar or Coconut Sugar. It balances the flavor, so do not skip them.
Shallots, Garlic - Use 5 or 6 shallots and 3 Galic cloves. Shallots are not but baby onions. If you are not able to source shallots use big ones itself.
Dry red chili - You may use either dry red Chilli or GReen chill. Adjust as per the spiciness as you prefer.
Oil, Salt - Do not add any extra water while grinding the green curry paste. Use any vegetable oil and the required Salt.
Advantages of homemade curry paste.
Storebought curry paste has preservatives to keep them fresh for a long time. And hence the calories value will be higher for the storebought curry paste. Whereas homemade is fresh and less in calories.
What is the secrete ingredient for the green curry paste?
It's the shrimp paste. We are skipping the vegan version. It is there in all authentic and store bought versions.
What to use Green Curry paste for?
Obviously, it is for the Thai Green Curry. Other than that you can also try adding them in Soups or Fried rice too. They are flavorful.
How to make Thai Green Curry Paste
In a pan add 1 tsp of Whole Pepper, ½ tsp of Cumin seeds, and 1 tbsp of Coriander seeds. Dry roast in a low flame until fragrant. Let it cool down and then transfer to a blender.
To the blender next add in 10 fresh Thai basil leaves and 1 kaffir lime leaves. Also, add in 2 tbsp of Cilantro Stalks and 2 tbsp of Cilantro. Also, add in 1 fresh lemongrass stalk.
Next add in 5 shallots, 3 garlic pods, and 3 Dry Red chilies. Also, add in 1 inch of Galangal. And then add 1 tbsp of soya sauce,1 tbsp of Oil, and 1 tsp of Oil.
Blend everything to a coarse paste in a blender or in a mortar and pestle. Thai Green Curry paste is ready.
Store the fresh green curry paste in an airtight container till use.
Storage Suggestions & Freezing Options
- Always the curry paste tastes best when it's fresh.
- We can put them in the fridge and use them for up to 3 days. After 3 days it may start to lose flavor.
- You can also freeze them for up to 1 month. For freezing the curry paste. Place them in ice trays. Once they are frozen remove and transfer to the ziplock bags and store in the freezer
- .While preparing the green curry, you can also use the frozen green curry paste cubes.
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time ? You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates from me.
Vegan Thai Green Curry Paste
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- 1 tsp Whole Pepper
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 10 Thai Basil Leaves
- 1 Kaffir Lime Leaf chopped
- 2 tbsp Cilantro Stalk stalk
- 2 tbsp Cilantro
- 1 Lemon Grass
- 5 Shallots
- 3 clove Garlic
- 3 Dry Red Chilli
- 1 inch Galangal
- 1 tbsp Soya Sauce
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- In a pan add 1 tsp of Whole Pepper, ½ tsp of Cumin seeds, and 1 tbsp of Coriander seeds. Dry roast in a low flame until fragrant. Let it cool down and then transfer to a blender.
- To the blender next add in 10 fresh Thai basil leaves and 1 kaffir lime leaves. Also, add in 2 tbsp of Cilantro Stalks and 2 tbsp of Cilantro. Also, add in 1 fresh lemongrass stalk.
- Next add in 5 shallots, 3 garlic pods, and 3 Dry Red chilies. Also, add in 1 inch of Galangal. And then add 1 tbsp of soya sauce,1 tbsp of Oil, and 1 tsp of Oil.
- Blend everything to a coarse paste in a blender or in a mortar and pestle. Thai Green Curry paste is ready.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist , the nutrition value provided here is an estimate.It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.