Baked Cauliflower Nuggets is a Crunchy Vegan and Gluten-Free Snack. It is addictive and goes well with Ketchup
A search for some healthy snacking is very much in cards these days. And if it's vegan and gluten-free it is merrier. I can very well assure you this is one such snack. A little you have to do and you get to enjoy a guilt-free yummy snack.
You can serve it with ketchup , Tahini , Ranch , Mayo or any of your favourite dip. The best thing is that you can make the nuggets well in advance and freeze.. When you are hungry or want to make some snack you have very well use the frozen nuggets and get it ready.
- What are Nuggets:
- Baked Cauliflower Nuggets:
- Ingredients for Baked Cauliflower Nuggets:
- Prep Work for Cauliflower Nuggets
- Variations to the Baked Cauliflower Nuggets:
- FAQ's on Cauliflower Nuggets
- How to prepare Baked Cauliflower Nuggets, Pictorial:
- How to Freeze Nuggets:
- Serving Suggestions:
- Similar Recipes:
- 📖 Recipe
What are Nuggets:
Nuggets are a very popular fast food. It is a small piece or chunk of meat or any veggies that are deep-fried or baked. It's mostly deep-fried in the fast-food joints. But the baked or air-fried version of nuggets is getting popular lately.
Baked Cauliflower Nuggets:
Chicken Nuggets are the native and the originals of all the nuggets. Slowly out of necessity and taste inspired by the original many other versions started coming. Out of that Cauliflower Nuggets are more in demand and in popular. Some other versions are Cottage Cheese Nuggets, Baby corn Nuggets, Tofu Nuggets.
Except for the main ingredient, the seasoning, and the spices remain the same.
Ingredients for Baked Cauliflower Nuggets:
Use a medium-sized cauliflower head. It must have approximately 2 cups of cauliflower florets.
Bread crumbs are one important ingredient to get the crispy texture of the nuggets. Use a Vegan and Gluten-free Bread crumb.
Corn Flour or Rice Flour
Corn Flour or Rice Flour may be used for the binding agent. If you are okay with gluten you may also add all-purpose flour.
Use any plant-based Milk. My recommendation would be coconut milk as it's much flavourful. But you can also try Almond Milk or Oat Milk.
The spices added are totally up to your preference and taste. I am using Paprika powder and cajun seasonings. But you may also try using Red Chilli powder, Chilli Flakes, Italian seasoning. Increase or decrease on how much spicy you prefer your nuggets.
Prep Work for Cauliflower Nuggets
★ Blanch the Cauliflower
Be it any recipe, blanching is very important in cauliflower. Cauliflower may have small worms. So on the safer side. Chop the cauliflower into small florets. Bring water to a boil. Add the cauliflower florets to the boiling water for 5 mins and then drain the water.
Cauliflower is now ready to use for the nuggets. Make sure you drain the water completely. Wipe off the excess water with kitchen towels if required.
★ Preheat the Oven.
★ Line the baking tray with Parchment paper.
Variations to the Baked Cauliflower Nuggets:
- Instead of the bread crumbs, you can very well use Panko breadcrumbs or even corn flakes.
- If using corn flakes crush them using a blender and then use.
- Again you may customize the species as you prefer with Red Chilli powder, Chilli Flakes, or Italian seasoning
- You may also add some cheese along with the breadcrumbs if you like it.
FAQ's on Cauliflower Nuggets
A big yes. You can Freeze the Nuggets before baking. I have explained in detail how to freeze the nuggets. It is best to freeze before baking.
Cauliflower Nuggets is very well vegan. It has only one catch is the breadcrumbs. Use Vegan and Gluten free bread crumbs . For this reason I am using the Corn Starch instead of All purpose flour and Plant based Milk.
Not at all, You can add water also. I am just using it for flavor. You can very well modify it.
How to prepare Baked Cauliflower Nuggets, Pictorial:
1) In a mixing bowl add in the Rice flour or Corn Starch. If you are okay with gluten you can also use all-purpose flour.
2) Now add in all the spice powders. I am using red chili powder, Cajun Seasoning, Cumin Powder, Pepper Powder, and Salt. Mix everything.
3) Next add coconut Milk, You can go for any plant-based milk. Cashew milk or Almond milk will be my choice.
4) Combine well. It is a semi-thick paste.
5) Now add in the cauliflower florets and coat them fully with the paste.
Pro Tip: Make sure the paste is not too thin. It should be semi-thick and coat the cauliflower fully. Also, don't do it in batches .Do one by one this will help the florets to coat the batter evenly.
6) Dip the cauliflower in the breadcrumbs evenly on all the sides. Repeat the same for all the cauliflower florets. As I mentioned before don't do it in batches for best results.
7) Arrange all the cauliflower dipped in breadcrumbs on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
9) Preheat the oven at 180 Deg C for 10 mins. Bake the cauliflower at 180 Deg C for about 40 min. Turn the sides cauliflower halfway just to ensure even baking on all the sides.
How to Freeze Nuggets:
Nuggets are a very common frozen food. It is very much popular in any country. You can find them in the freezer section of any departmental Store. All you have to do is to thaw them fry or bake and you are good to go.
The same applies to the cauliflower Nuggets.
Coat them with the bread crumbs. Put the bread coated nuggets in a baking tray with parchment paper in the freezer for 6 hours. It will firm the nuggets. Next, you can roll them in parchment paper or simply transfer them in a freezer-safe box or zip lock.
Freeze up to 6 months. Just before using thaw them and then you cake bake them as usual.
You might need to bake extra 5 or 10 mins if using frozen nuggets.
Cauliflower Nuggets make a great snack or appetizer. It goes well with Tomato ketchup, Tahini Sauce, Ranch or mayonnaise. Always serve hot for a crispy Nugget.
★ Did you enjoy this recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks for your time ?
You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Youtube and Twitter for more updates from me.
Baked Cauliflower Nuggets | Vegan Cauliflower Nuggets
Standard 1 cup measures 240 ml
- OTG Oven
- ¾ cup Rice flour or Corn Starch
- ½ cup Coconut Milk
- 2 cup Bread Crumbs
- ½ tsp Paprika Powder Red Chilli powder can be used instead
- 1 tbsp Cajun Seasoning Optional
- ½ tsp Pepper powder
- ½ tsp Cumin Powder
- Salt as needed
- 2 cup Cauliflower Florets
- In a mixing bowl add in the Rice flour or Corn Starch. If you are okay with gluten you can also use all-purpose flour.
- Now add in all the spice powders. I am using red chili powder, Cajun Seasoning, Cumin Powder, Pepper Powder, and Salt. Mix everything.
- Next add coconut Milk, You can go for any plant-based milk. Cashew milk or Almond milk will be my choice.
- Combine well. It is a semi-thick paste.
- Now add in the cauliflower florets and coat them fully with the paste.
- Dip the cauliflower in the breadcrumbs evenly on all the sides. Repeat the same for all the cauliflower florets.
- Arrange all the cauliflower dipped in breadcrumbs on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven at 180 Deg C for 10 mins. Bake the cauliflower at 180 Deg C for about 40 min. Turn the sides cauliflower halfway just to ensure even baking on all the sides.
Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionist , the nutrition value provided here is an estimate.It will vary based on the quantity and brands of the products used.
Leave a Reply